Friday, July 30, 2010

Songs

Do you have songs that you just *love*? Songs that you really can't hear too much, and that (when sung well) mesmerize you? I'd like to think that there is something within those songs that speak to humans as a whole and that everyone feels the way that I do about them, but I know it's not true. I have a few. "Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell, "Hallelujah"- Leonard Cohen, "Blue Like That"- Shawn Colvin, and I've just discovered a new one "Glitter in the Air"- Pink. I can't figure what it is about these songs, and not to sound like a drugged-up-hippie, but-- they just speak to me, man. There is some thing in them all that I find haunting. That makes me think about them after the last note has been sung- even when I understand the words... that there is something deeper, something more. Something that resonates with who I am... even when I'm not sure who I am.

So you have songs like that? Songs that wrap themselves around your soul? Or am I just an overly romantic girl with delusions of introspection? If you do, what are they?

3 comments:

  1. "Tension Makes A Tangle" by 10,000 Maniacs. I'm notthe stalker type, but sometime before I pack it in I will beg (persuade, bribe) Natalie Merchant to tell me what these words mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you picked some good ones. "Hallelujah" is definitely on my list. The feeling you have is the "resonance" (metaphorical, not literal) that is why I like poetry. It just leaves you with something.

    I am under the spell of so many songs, I could probably list them forever. I just recently realized how much I love "Eternal Flame" by the Bangles. But some of my longstanding "gets me every time" are:
    I'll Keep It with Mine- Bob Dylan
    Time After Time- Cyndi Lauper
    God Only Knows- the Beach Boys
    Forty Six & 2- Tool
    The Wind Cries 'Mary'- the Jimi Hendrix Experience
    And the "Long Black Veil" cover the Dave Matthews Band does. I loves it.

    Kind of a weird group there, but them's the ones I will shush you and turn up the radio for. And possibly be teary after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to surround myself as much as possible by the songs that really grab me. Right now, that means they're my ringtones and notifications on my cell phone. :D "Every New Day" by Five Iron Frenzy is one of those songs for me, as is Audio Adrenaline's version of "It is Well with My Soul."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...