Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Renée in Real Life

Watching Dan in Real Life for the first time in a long time-- a good holiday feeling movie with family. I really like this movie. It's that beautiful mix of sad and funny.

Funny thing about Renée: Since Nathan died, I normally sleep with a huge pile of laundry on one side of my bed. I thought this was a weird thing that I did to make the bed not seem too big, to not feel so alone. I don't do it if I have company (in part cause my laundry is all put away in that case) but in part cause I just thought it was super weird and I try and hide my neurosis from other people... you know until I write about them on my blog.

But it turns out I'm not weird. Dan, who isn't really in real life, sleeps with the other side of the bed completely taken up with books.

I find a strange comfort in knowing I'm not alone... even if the only other person I know who is like me is in a movie.

"I'm looking for a book... something that can help me deal with what might be an awkward situation. Something funny might be nice, but not necessarily big, 'ha, ha, ha,' 'laugh, laugh, laugh' funny, and certainly not make-fun-of-other-people funny but rather something human-funny. And, uh, if it could uh, sneak up on you, surprise you, and at the same time make you think that what you thought wasn't only right, in a wrong kind of way, but when you're wrong, there's a certain rightness in your wrongness... Well, what I mean is, more importantly, I'm looking to be swept up! And at the same time, not." -Marie from Dan in Real Life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...