Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A New Semester and Much Coat Discussion

I love that last semester at this time I didn't know anyone in my classes and this semester I've got a friend in every one of them and I'm waving at people in the halls and saying hi before class. I'm like friendly and gregarious and outgoing.... I could do this. I could go to a grad school and make new friends.

...right, guys?

I would like to stage a protest. In the movies and TV shows, once someone has been to a person's house from then on they could show up at any moment. They won't call beforehand, they won't text, or facebook or anything. They just show up. And that person is always appropriately dressed for the stopping by, even though it's 10 at night or 7 in the morning. No one has ever just dropped by my place unannounced, except Nathan when we were engaged and that still didn't happen that often. Well, and Kara might have... but even she normally called. Still- I kinda wish it would happen in real life. Where are the script writers of my life?

I'm really gonna have to work hard to get back in the habit of homework... I fell out of the habit so quickly!

Ok, so I posted the other day on fb about seeing a girl on campus who had the same coat as me and suddenly figuring out what "those buttons" were for. And Kara told me I had to blog about it cause she didn't understand my explanation. So for Kara:


This is my coat the way that I normally wear it. It's a little "soldier" styled.
ala this Civil War coat. The internet labels it as being a "13th regiment" coat. This does not seem like enough information to tell someone anything, but there you have it.
I can button my coat all the way to the top and then hook the collar- I never do because my neck isn't that long and that's super uncomfortable, but I could. And I thought the top button that was on the same side as the button hole was just for symmetry's sake- You know-- like all the other buttons on that side of the coat! Buttons just look pretty, right?

But then I saw a girl on campus who was wearing my same coat-- only she was wearing it like this:

These pics have been lightened so that you can see a little better- hope it helped. 
You see there is an extra buttonhole on the "inside" flap of the coat, making it possible to fold the sides over and button them to themselves. It's still soldier-y but it's also a little more trench-coat-ish with a lapel. I don't really care for it, on me, because it seems like the coat wasn't really made to do this, they just added it as a feature, and I find it more flattering the other way. Plus, I don't love having two collars and this way means I can only button it at the third button which is practically at my natural waist. It would work better with a scarf, but I'm just as happy to not have to add a scarf to my winter gear list.

Still I thought it was kinda amusing that I've had this coat for almost two years and have just now figured out this "feature." And even then, only with help.

In other news, I walk across campus twice a day to work and to class. I actually like that I have to walk that much. It's healthy. What I dislike is taking my coat off and putting it on over and over and over. Tomorrow I will put my coat on at least 5 times. I don't even put on lip balm 5 times a day! It's tiresome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...