Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fine, I'll move on

This hat envy is not healthy and so I have decided to move on. But not before I vowed that our children would have lots of adorable ear-ed hats when they are still young enough to have little say on what I put on them. And if they are big-headed then they will just wear the adult hats.... And after my vow with one hand in the air and Tara burning behind me, Nathan just said "ok." He's so anti-climatic.

Nathan cooked last night. That man can order Papa Johns with the best of 'em.

I'm on my own tonight. He's got "game" so he'll be gone from 7-9:30ish... I might watch me some "Christy". Yeah, that's right, I said it! That old tv show/miniseries from the early 90's about a school teacher in Appalachia? I got it from Netflix. I know I'm a wild and crazy gal. Sooo basically if you've got any better ideas on things to do you should probably give me a call.

So has anyone actually had ginger water as described by Laura Ingalls Wilder in "The Long Winter"? Today is ridiculously hot out and it always makes me think of Laura tramping down the hay and Carrie bringing out the surprise ginger water that you can drink and drink without it making you sick. I'm both intrigued and grossed out by ginger water and I want to hear about someone who's had it and lived to tell the tale. Ginger water... those crazy pioneers!

3 comments:

  1. I love that part. Carrie lugging the huge jug out to the fields. Laura's eyes lighting up and Carrie shushing her and telling her to shut her trap so Pa can be surprised too.

    Maybe I'll try the ginger water. I'll get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I have the "Little House" cookbook! Here is the recipe so that you, too, can survive hot days with "Ginger Water," which apparently is also called "switchel":

    For 6 servings, you will need:
    Brown sugar, 1/2 to 3/4 cup, packed
    Powdered ginger, 1 teaspoon
    Cider vinegar, 1/2 cup (the book also has a recipe for this)

    Jug, 2-quart funnel, or other half-gallon container

    Dissolve brown sugar and ginger in vinegar by shaking or stirring. Add 1 quart of cold waqter, mix, and serve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really like this post. It made me laugh. That is all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...