Friday, August 27, 2010

Babies, Cars, and Videogames

In a minor miracle today, I cleaned up my kitchen without prodding, friends visiting, or assistance. I am quite proud of myself.

I get to see my sister today! And Isaac, Kadin, and Jeriah. I'm thrilled to pieces about this. Last Tuesday was Kadin's birthday. The only good thing about that day! So we got her some presents and while shopping picked up an adorable onesie for new baby Houf. Ach, baby clothes... I'm gonna spend so much money when I have a baby on adorable clothes.... Nathan is gonna get into the stroller/car seat/high tech baby stuff and I will be found in the clothing section going, "AWWWW!" over and over and over. By the way, Threadless has adorable baby clothes... and then on top of that they have "hoodsies." That is a onesie with a hood. *melts into a pile of goo* As Kara says, (quoteing something/one else?) Could you just die!?!        ...     ...sooo I'm not sure how well that phrase translates in text, so for context say it out loud to yourself in the same manner that one speaks about baby clothes or puppies and kittens or small Asian children. Does it make sense to you now? Ok, good!

I don't really have much to say about the state of the world today. We finally got Nathan's jeep fixed. We'd been putting it off for like a week and a half, being a one car family but we finally took it in and discovered it was just a bad battery- 82 dollars later and we were good to go! Now for my car, of which the brakes have been acting funky for months but every time we take it in they tell us that everything looks ok... If everything looks ok then while does it make a loud clicking noise and freak out when I try to stop first thing every morning? I can work around it to some extent but if it happens every time I start my car then there are going to be times when I'm out in public and need to stop and not continue for about a foot farther than I should. Parking lots and stopping before I pull into traffic come to mind. (I haven't been driving my car that much, needless to say.) But we are taking it to a different mechanic next week and I'm supremely happy about this.

I've been playing Paper Mario this week and I like it muchly. It was a present from my dear husband for my birthday. He also got me the first video game I ever owned (Kingdom Hearts) for my birthday when I turned like 23 or 22 or something. I was a late bloomer, what can I say?

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you get to see Rhonda and fam. What a happy thing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quoting Bette Midler in the movie Big Business. She's a country girl (she actually plays two characters in the movie by the same name, as does Lilly Tomlin - twins mixed up and separated at birth if you can follow it) who is in a big city hotel for the first time in her life and is thrilled to pieces. She wanders into the hotel bathroom and screams out (Lilly Tomlin jumps in surprise, "what's wrong!?!"). Bette then emerges from the bathroom with fancy soaps and says, in her southern accents, "They have soap carved in the shape of a swan!!! Could you die!?!"

    In other news - my nephew is going to be born today (3 weeks early, classic Allison). I'm off to St. Louis to babysit the dogs while my parents go to claim their new identities as Nanna and Pop. (fine, I've been calling my mom Nanna for years b/c it's a cute name. it's important to practice these things ahead of time)

    Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a "hoodsie" until now. Pretty sure I need to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like there is a leak in one of the lines between the master cylinder and the individual break shoes/drums. When that happens, the line drains overnight, so you don't get proper hydraulic action when you first drive the car in the morning. Hence the clicking noise. I bet it kind of pulls to one side when you hit the break, too, right? After you drive a while, the master cylinder pumps out a little fluid, fills the line, and everything works great by the time you get it to the mechanic. Over time, it makes your break fluid low, but if it's just a tiny leak, it could take a while. Tell your mechanics to quit being lazy bums and check all the break lines for pinholes. (I was pretending to be one of the Car Talk guys on that last line, could you tell? If not, imagine me laughing hysterically at my own joke).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops. I mean "brake."

    And hoodsies! I could just die!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...