Friday, September 10, 2010

The Majesty of Elvis

 *this blog post is a reproduction of the lost blog post. How I mourn it's passing!

 So sorry dear ones! It's been days and days!

I went to Memphis, TN last weekend. I had a lovely time. I really enjoyed Graceland- not so much for all the pictures of Elvis or his many gold records, but for his over the top design style.  His mother's bathroom had wallpaper with poodles on it and purple tile, and that was possibly the least extravagant of all the rooms. But rather than just describe it I would like to give you a tour. (please note that none of the picture seen below are mine, I just found them by trolling the internet and finding the pictures that best capture the magnificence.)

First stop, the Living Room:

There is much I love about this room.Especially the stained glass peacocks and the 15 ft long sofa. 15ft long sofa!?!?! Two six foot tall dueling children could lay on each end of that thing and there would still be a 3 ft no man's land! Up Next Elvis' parent's aforementioned bathroom and the bedroom  .



I hope his Dad was ok with the pink and purple color scheme...
  On to the dining room...


What's that, Elvis? A marble "rug" in your dining room? Ok, whatever you say. (By the way the blue drapes in here and the living room were a lovely color.) Also note how the dining room table matches the mirrored wall panels. Elvis had a thing for mirrors, apparently.


More on that later, but first, the kitchen.

But that's not a kitchen, that's the set of Bonanza! Nathan's comment upon entering this room, "This is my grandparent's kitchen." No time for peanut butter and banana sandwiches, the tour must go on! Downstairs!
Please hold on to the rails tightly, random little kid, cause this will feel like you are in a funhouse. But the mirrors don't stop there! Wait till you see the TV room!
Please forgive the Fishbowl lens, it was the only picture I could find where the blue looked like blue and not black, like in the previous picture. I actually really liked this room and someday if I ever have unlimited funds I might make a tribute tv room in my basement as well... But I probably won't have a mirror fireplace or ceiling. And I definitely won't have the *freakiest* monkey statue EVER!!! He's looking at you with his bottomless pits of eyes that want to devour your soul... Beware the monkey statue! *cough* ok, anyway next up is the Billiard room.

I think Hilde from Trading Spaces would be proud of this one. That's not wall paper. That's thousands of yards of fabric pleated and attached to the ceiling and walls.... and a big button in the middle that the light hangs from.... Now back upstairs to the famed Jungle Room.
So many things to love about this room... The waterfall, the faux fur, the elaborately carved furniture, the green shag carpeting.... on the ceiling!! Say what you will about Elvis, but he certainly had flair! He also had 24 carat gold flecked sinks on his airplane. Oh I also learned that Elvis had a variety of alcohol available for guests but that he himself did not care for the taste of alcohol. Just like me! Elvis and I are the same! You know, I may also be the only one to think this but Elvis did have a bit of a rainbow house... so it's no wonder that I loved it.

Other things that have been stirring around in my brain this week, include,
1) I have found my favorite Elvis. I refer to him as the "cableknit Elvis." There are colorized merchandise pictures of this Elvis all over Graceland, but apparently not all over the internet. The best example I could find was this coffee mug but I have included a black and white version so you can see the picture better.
I think it has something to do with his bouffant hairstyle.

2) I think this Elvis should have played Edward Cullen in the Twilight movies, not Robert Pattinson. Some people have mentioned that perhaps someone like James Franco would be better as he is an actual option, since young Elvis is, in fact, dead. The best response to this is: so is Edward Cullen.

3) I like Owls. I know, some of you are saying either A) What? How could you jump on board this bandwagon. Owls are just what's in right now and I don't understand why you can't be a little more original. or B) Really? That's ridiculously 70's. Sheesh, go find your own culture. My response to both of these is cocking my head to side glazing my eyes and saying, "Whoo, whoo." But seriously owl drawing are cute! I'm not gonna go out and get a stuffed one or anything (hello owl version of the creepy monkey statue!) but I like them as crafts.

4) It is amazing the strength you can muster to get through something when the alternative (to getting through it) is not an option.

5) I've been sleeping a ton lately... It's like I'm sleeping 15 hours a day or something. Next thing you know I'm gonna start calling Nathan, "Boo-Boo" and waxing sentimental about pic-a-nic baskets.

6)Yesterday I claimed there were 9 continents, but that two of them were secret. Then I sang a song about it, and I hope that you are up on your Rankin Bass Hobbit movies or you will never know the tune. My song went like this, "Frodooo of the 9 continents and the Riiing of Doooom. How does he know there are 9 continents? Wheeere is the Riiiing of DOOOOOM?" And yes, I may have pitched it a bit lower than the dude sings in the movie, for emphasis. Then Nathan laughed a lot and called me insane. I just can't figure why he would say that.

7) Every once in a while I think that we should upgrade our full size bed to a queen... but we had a king sized bed at the hotel last weekend and it was just ridiculous. I don't understand why you would need a bed that large unless your spouse kicked a whole lot or you wanted to sleep your entire family of 6 in a pinch. What pinch could come that would require 6 people sleeping in the same bed I do not know, but it's all I can come up with.

Ok Nathan and I need to get out o' the house and pick up some 'scripts so I'll leave you for now. Just know that I love you all, a bushel and a peck.

5 comments:

  1. A king size bed is a necessity when you or your spouse has a tendency to sleep with all appendages spread out, like a comatose cartwheel. (AKA: me.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the cable knit Elvis...very dreamy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like owls, too. Cute is cute, in or out, dated or retro-cool!

    We have a queen-sized bed and it is just the right size for two people, two laptop computers, and two cats. We also found a hotel California King-sized bed ridiculously large (kind of lonely, even for me, a decided non-snuggler [to Matt's everlasting irritation]). Although it would have been the perfect bed 15 years ago for my parents, on stormy nights, when an unspeakable number of children would descend on it. Sometimes in the morning I would find four of my brothers in my parents' bed and my parents upstairs in the bunks!

    Cableknit Elvis's hair... oh, that hair. But frankly, he's got nothing on Matt's hair. If only I could get him to wear and maintain a bouffant.

    Sleeping 15 hours a day, eh? Well that triggers my personal catchphrase (apologies in advance, it can't be helped): Time for a thyroid check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents upgraded from a queen to a king b/c they have 2 golden retrievers and a little dog. Of course, they claim the queen deflated (sleep number bed) and they HAD to replace it. Very suspicious.

    Seriously, I was thinking, wait... there are 6 continents. Then I realized - it's that nonsense about Europe/Asia/Eurasia. I was taught there were 6 and then switched schools and people thought I was dumb and were snobby about telling me there were 7. But 6 makes more sense to me. I mean - Europe and Asia are the ONLY continents separated by mountains instead of water. I mean - why don't we talk about Northwest America and Northeast America, considering the way the rocky mountains split the continent in half. Heck - it is referred to as the Continental Divide.

    7 continents... I think it has more to do with Europe not wanting to be associated with the East. I mean, are they on different tectonic plates? Someone tell me some things about tectonic plates. Make me feel better about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To continue the Eurasia discussion, Russia always gets lumped in with...whichever one you're not studying. European History? It's totally Asia. Asian History? Practically Europe. Sort of like the T.S. Eliot of geography (though I can understand why no one wants to study The Wasteland).

    I find a king bed significantly larger than a queen bed. Queen means I'm just one roll away from cuddling...or limb freedom, whichever is appealing to me at the time. To "roll over" to cuddle on a king, I would have to roll completely over three times.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...