Saturday, September 18, 2010

Semi Random Thoughts by Anae Duuuh.

My sister has a blog, too, now! You can check it out here. She explains what I vaguely referenced last Saturday.

Have I fully explained how much I love a TV show called "Gilmore Girls?" Cause I love it. I just watched several episodes, concluding the 3rd season, and I love it.  Love love love. There is something about witty banter that I just can't get enough of. It is an aspect in which I am totally and completely girly. Unlike earlier tonight when I chided someone for not knowing exactly and immediately who Carrie Fisher is and then realized that while my husband may consider himself quite lucky that he got a girl who is aware of her Star Wars, only guys should rib their buddies if they aren't up on their SW knowledge. I'm so gauche.... and geeky... I'm a gauche geek....

and suddenly I wonder if there are any other kinds.

So I want to lose weight and not change anything about my current lifestyle. When someone figures out how to do that will you let me know? I have a sneaking suspicion most plans would not let me have pie for breakfast and after having taken 27 years to discover this wonder, I'm not quite sure I can give it up just yet.

On a related note, I have concluded that there is not a food in the world that everyone can agree is good for you. I have not actually done any research but I hear a lot of different people talking about food at different times and they all seem to disagree on what is good or bad. Milk is good for you- no it's bad. Meat is bad for you- no it's good. Iceberg lettuce is a great option- oh actually, it has no nutritional value- but it does have phytochemicals (sp?) so it's actually good for you. Ok, so I've never heard anyone badmouth kale... but I still think dieters are the bravest people I know, because how the heck do you know what you should or shouldn't eat... diets are the old wives tales of a new millennium. *Please note I do not think diets or dieters are wrong or bad, just highly contradictory.

Something else that I was pondering today-- and please note this has some obvious exceptions... I only mean it as a general trend. Ok, disclaimer finished. I think that my generation might feel about fixing things like cars and houses and practical knowledge like my parents (or possibly my grandparents generation) feel about computers. For example, when my Dad goes to fix something he has a skill set to draw on... but where did he get this skill set? Pretty much from jumping in and tinkering about till it worked. He might have had some coaching or instruction along the way but mainly he just wasn't afraid to make a mistake. This is what my generation does with computers... we just jump in and aren't afraid to screw up cause we know we can always undo it.... But cars and electrical wiring and plumbing? That stuff is expensive and scary. That requires professionals. People who are trained. I used to say that my grandma was afraid that if she pushed the wrong button on the computer it might explode, and that was why she didn't use it... but I'm not that different. Cars can explode... or crash.... or make funny clunking noises and not run. It's all the same fears just recycling themselves in new ways. Kinda like fashion. Did ya hear? The 80's are back and they brought their love of neon, their slap bracelets, and yes, even their acid washed jeans.... but if the shoulder pads ever return I'm making a break for it.... but not in a linebacker kind of way.

When I was little my favorite book was "Are You My Mother?" by P.D Eastman. Apparently it was such a favorite that I decided to read it on a tape that was being sent to my grandparents in PA. I believe this might have been the tape that was played so often it broke. (My grandparents moved to MO when I was 4.... possibly because they could bear to be separated from my adorableness no longer.) Anyway, on this tape I announce the book before I read it as such: " 'Are You My Mudda' by Anae Moohr." Anae Moohr of course being how I pronounced my own name at the ripe old age of 3. I think if I asked my 3 year old self to say my name today it would be Anae Duuuh. Oh and please don't get me a copy of the book- I already have 2. One to read to my children and one to keep in pristine condition- but I appreciate your generous heart.

As I re-read this to edit I realize that I use a lot of disclaimers... but it's just cause I don't want you to think I'm judging you... I'm not. Who am I to judge? I eat pie for breakfast and call cars "necessary death traps."

3 comments:

  1. that's a favorite book of my boys. and I love love love Gilmore Girls too! I have all 7 seasons and randomly pull them out to re-watch them when I'm in a GG mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too get sick of the It's good for you! It's bad for you! The terrible thing is I'm really, really susceptible to those people. I don't buy into this idea at all, but it's very tempting to think that if you just avoid the bad foods and eat the good foods you can solve all your health problems. In three years I went from low-carb to vegan, then vegetarian. Then I started feeling really tired a lot, thought it was anemia, and started eating meat again. Then I found out I had autoimmune disease, which comes with its own lists of foods not to eat (a really weird list... I can't eat raw cabbage, strawberries, and yes-- raw kale is on the list!), and at what times (no high-calcium or high-iron foods in the morning because they interfere with the hormone I have to take. Which rules out bread, cereal, and milk, and what else is there for breakfast? Oh, wait-- pie!). Then I wanted to lose the weight I gained as a result of said autoimmune disease and had to change my diet again. And now lately this lady I know online has been constantly telling me I shouldn't eat gluten because a lot of people with my problem are gluten intolerant. But this is madness. No cookies? No pie crust? EVER?! The thing is, I don't believe her rationale at all, but I feel like I have to at least try it, because what if I do it and then I feel so much better? What if?

    I think everyone needs to lay off of iceberg lettuce. It's crunchy and delicious. Not enough vitamins? What kind of criticism is that? Does anybody apply that to any other food? Like 'gee, apples are tasty, but they don't have nearly as much vitamin C as oranges. Forget about apples!' It's all a secret smear campaign by the growers of Romaine lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, when I eat right I don't eat different foods as much as I just eat fewer of them. Like, I eat a half piece of pie instead of three pieces. And iceberg lettuce is growing on me. And I didn't think your SW comment was gauche. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...