Thursday, June 28, 2012

Can't we all just get along?

You know it's hot when opening your window at midnight doesn't actually cool off your house at all.

I seem to vascillate between these deep/thoughtful posts on widowhood and "(my) life after (his) death" and posts about nothing.

And I think the first posts are more interesting... but also a bit of a downer.

And the posts about nothing are funny- sometimes. But can also, pretty easily, be boring as all get out.

I wish there was a way that I could make interesting posts that are also funny, but that's a mighty hard thing to do every day. And it all has to come from me. There are other people in my life, but I can't really tell their stories for them. That's not cool.

And believe it or not there are still some secrets that I don't tell, you, dear blog. Mainly because you are on the internet and anyone could read you. For example, I don't tell you who I have a secret crush on. (Darren Criss isn't a secret crush, I'm pretty up-front with that one.) But I also don't tell you the few things that I would be embarrassed about or that I don't want people's commentary on...

And you may have noticed a distinct lack of anything political gracing my blog... That's because, as Kara put it the other day, I'm one of the most "politically dull" people ever.

I don't actually like politics at all and I don't like people knowing where I stand on hot button issues. Why you ask?

Well, it's pretty simple.

You can insult people by having an opinion.

Oh no, it's true. I'm not making this stuff up.

I don't get insulted by people's opinions, but that doesn't mean that I agree with them. I will listen to someone talk all day about what they think, even if I don't agree with them at all.... as long as they don't know that I don't agree with them. Because as soon as they know where I stand they start trying to convince me or they try and engage me in a debate (aka arguement) about them. 1) I hate the hard sell, and 2) I find absolutely no enjoyment in a serious debate.

Now get me into a good debate on whether or not stuffed animals need eyes, and I'm allll over that. (You laugh, but my cousin Becca and I seriously argued about that for months. -I'm pro-eyes.) But no one takes that stuff seriously or personally, it's just being silly.

But if it's serious.. if it's an issue where there are real people involved? If it's an issue that really matters to someone? I absolutely 100% vehemently do not want to argue about it. It's too easy to stop hearing the other person and just think about what you believe. It's too easy to get up in arms, it's too easy to make the person who was your friend not 5 minutes ago into "one of them," and it's way way way too easy to make attacks personal, when you *feel* the matter personally.

So I don't share what I think... and yeah, I'm sure my biases come out in a multitude of  subtle ways, but if I can avoid being divisive, I will.

Cause that's the thing... if Dr. Who has taught me nothing, it's that we all have a lot more in common than we sometimes think.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to know how blogger chooses the "you might also like" posts. I really want to know how this post is like bacon-flavored mayonnaise!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...