Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Eventful day

Viva La Revolución!

I am Renée, master of my own destiny! My nails can be whatever they darn well want to be and I don't need no stinking gel polish to tell me how to live my life!

Paula suggested that I just paint over the gel polish and I looked it up and apparently it might make this manicure last for longer than normal, too. So I went a little crazy,  and in celebration I put the whole galaxy on my nails.



















Yeah, they look pretty sweet, don't they? Pinterest gave me the idea. And it's even better in person because they are so darn sparkly.

Oh, sparkles, I missed you!

Boy, it was a super eventful day- I have so much to say-- I may split this into two blogs and just talk about the mac and cheese tomorrow... so if you've read this far and haven't read anything about mac and cheese... well then you have something to look forward to tomorrow, don't cha??

Today I got on facebook and someone said they had extra tickets to Tent Theatre. Now this may come as a shock to you, but I'd never gone to Tent Theatre in all my years in Springfield. Nathan and I kept meaning to, but they sell out quickly and you just never know when the weather isn't going to be miserable. So I said I wanted to go and so I did. The weather was amazing for it, btw. (We saw 9 to 5 and it was good. I don't think I really cared for the *show* that much, but I really liked most of the actors' performances. Which probably sounds confusing to you but makes perfect sense to me.)

So in preparation for Tent Theatre, I just stayed at Starbucks all afternoon.... like from 2:30 to 7:45....ok that wasn't very eventful, I admit it. But at 7:30 it got really exciting.

Let's just say I learned a fun fact today: Electricity can run through wire that is ON FIRE.  Electricity = amazing.

What you don't want to leave it at that?? *sigh* Fine.

There was a fire across Glenstone, and there is suspicion that this caused some circuits/transformers to get overloaded. All I know is that at 7:30, the lights in Starbucks went off and everything shutting down at once sounded really cool. Then the lights came back up about 30 seconds later and then went down again about a minute later. Then came back up at half power with creepily flickering lights. Then someone said the "telephone pole" (Pretty sure it was an electric pole, not a telephone pole) outside was on fire.... I went outside, and sure enough it looked like a sparkler up there.... What was burning I have no idea, because pretty sure wire and metal aren't flammable and why do they have flammable things around electric currents anyway?

So the Starbucks people had to close the store down and go home, cause they kinda need electricity to do... well... everything. I'm concerned for their milk/cream supply tomorrow. I liked how the guy who is in the National Guard was all "We need to start shutting the store down now or else we are gonna lose the light." Yep, that dude's been trained in practicalities. Meanwhile one girl was texting her mom and her mother asked if her car was near the pole and she was like, "Oh yeah, guys, we should move our cars!"

Pretty sure she isn't in the military.

This was apparently a motherly concern because my mom was also concerned about the status of my car when I posted about this on facebook. I gave her a hard time about not understanding that just because a hybrid has an electric engine doesn't mean it breaks anytime it's near something else electric that breaks, but I'm pretty sure she was actually concerned about the pole falling on my car or something.

But don't worry, Mom. It was just the top of pole that was burning... you know, the metal part.

Hey, maybe someone put some napalm on the electric pole! That would explain a lot.

and also raise a lot of questions...

For instance: ""Blimey! 'Ow did you even get it up there? There's no' even a road there!" (My British GPS gets confused by elevations.)

1 comment:

  1. You'll be happy to know we're back up and running this morning and all is well... Including our dairy supply...
    ...and all our cars too. Hahaha :-)

    Turns out, Annie's mom was right, we did need to move the cars, if only so the dude could get in there with the truck to turn the power off at the line.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...