Saturday, June 23, 2012

The White Elephant in the Elevator

So there's something that I've been avoiding talking about for a while now.

In part because I don't know how some of you will respond to it. And in part because I'm not sure how I feel about it.

But that said, I really don't like edging around subjects as though they don't exist. If there is an elephant in the elevator with us I'd like to address it, and make it feel less awkward about how big it is. Maybe you won't agree with me that the elephant is white. Maybe you think it's purple and pink polka dotted. That's fine, but at least we won't be blundering about as if there isn't an elephant and standing uncomfortably close to each other but refusing to make eye contact and pretending we don't notice.

After telling Kara over a year ago that I wanted to be able to tell my story somehow she decided that I needed to be a member of the preaching team. (Just to be clear, that isn't her decision to make, she just likes talking as though what she wants is a reality.)

So I'm taking this class thing called a "preaching mentoring." It's something Tim does every now and again to find new people for the preaching team at church. With both Kara and Josh leaving in July, he sorta needed some new people. Going through the class in no way guarantees that a person will actually ever speak on a Sunday morning much less join the "team," it's just one of the necessary steps.

I agreed to do it for a few reasons. One was that I thought I wouldn't be very good, and the best way to get Kara off of a tear is to go along until she decides it was a bad idea (or a good one.) The second is that she said she would go through it again as a refresher and so that we could spend more time together. (At this point I say yes to virtually anything that gives us more time together. Your best friend moving away can get you to do all sorts of things you'd normally pass on.)

Now I'm not going to get into the complementarian/egalitarian debate... I think that's a much longer blog than I'm prepared to write... and I think it would probably be far more divisive than useful to anyone. Suffice it to say that I don't think it's a salvation issue, I would not do something that I had not researched in the Bible and prayed about (and felt it was ok,) and the only way to speak on a Sunday morning is to be invited by Tim, who also wouldn't invite someone to do something that he had not researched and prayed about and felt it was ok. And any of this is a moot argument at this point because no one's asked me to do anything as yet.

I will admit that I wasn't super jazzed about it, though. I remember my college Public Speaking class... I was not very good.

And then Kara said something I think was really smart. She said, "You know, Renée- speaking is just saying something that you've written out-loud."

I did know that, but I'd never really thought about it like that before... that Kara is so wise.

So on Tuesday I gave my 2nd speech/sermon/whatever. (Well, technically it was a revamp of the first one, but with an additional 5-10 minutes added.) And it went over really well...

And I realized that Kara might be right... and if she's right and if I am actually asked to speak on a Sunday morning, I probably needed to blog about it at some point so you aren't completely taken by surprise.

I've decided that I'm a little quirky when it comes to speaking. I know that most people really frown on using a manuscript as "notes" for a talk, but it really works for me. The most well received speeches I ever gave were manuscript speeches. (Mainly my valedictorian speech and both versions of the speeches I've given thus far.) I think as a writer, letting my mind fully form my arguments is very important. If I didn't, my mouth would sometimes get ahead of my brain and I might say things I don't actually agree with. Plus my performance background lends itself to treating a speech like a monologue... only way easier, because I am the character I'm playing and I wrote the text so I can change it on the fly if I want to.

I really do miss performing, so this scratches a tiny little part of the itch without taking up the amount of time a full show would. I guess I'm a little bit more of a showy Leo than I thought. I don't know if I wasn't trying hard enough in college, or if my teaching experience really helped something click inside me, but it looks like I'm better than I thought... I can't help but wonder if Nathan ever would have guessed I'd be in this place. I think he'd be laughing either way.

6 comments:

  1. Let me just declare my total and utter support of you in public speaking in any arena! That's the thing about being your bff - I wouldn't bother be such a good friend to you if I didn't think you were great. And public speaking - be in on Sunday morning or anywhere else - allows more people to experience how great you are! And I fully support that.

    Also - you did do SUPER GREAT - both times so far! I went home on Tuesday and said to Josh, "Renee totally out-preached me tonight." And he just raised his eyebrows - I'm not sure if he was surprised that you're abilities surpass mine despite my years of experience or if he was surprised that I was able to recognize/admit it! Hahahahaha! Gotta keep him on his toes!

    I don't know where your path goes - maybe when it comes to a Sunday morning you'll ultimately decide you just can't bring yourself to do it - I would be sad about this (see above) - but there are a LOT of ways to offer your voice to the world - both in ministry and in more secular settings. Maybe you'll be happier speaking exclusively to women (a way a lot of more conservative gals get around the "no usurping" thing - bless them) and do all-girl conferences and retreats instead of church. Maybe you'll just keep writing and writing (complimentarians can read to themselves, inside their heads so it doesn't make a sound ... now I'm just being funny - don't get mad at me complimentarians! I feel very cheery about our differences b/c it's NOT a salvation issue and I'll totally bow to a well-deserved I-told-you-so in heaven if y'all turn out to be right).

    The important thing is that you bring glory to God in whatever you do. And I think you're already living up to that standard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me forever to figure out why you started this with, "So there's something that I've been avoiding talking about for a while now. In part because I don't know how some of you will respond to it." I'm still not sure I understand. Is it because you're a woman preaching? (I've literally been pondering this for over 12 hours.)

    I really enjoy hearing you speak/ preach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's because I'm a woman. I grew up in a complementarian church, and I have family who are complementarians... and honestly I think I'm some sort of hybrid between complementrian and egalitarian, myself, so.... that's why I started like that... because I know that the subject of me preaching is not a universally accepted practice in my loved one's perspective.

      Delete
  3. I just have to object, Kara-- complementarianism is not necessarily "conservative"! Or maybe it is. I see it as conserving Western tradition but not conserving New Testament teaching... but you know. I'm not here to start any fights or anything. Really. I wouldn't like that at all. No enjoyment of a good egalitarian-complementarian smackdown here. No-sir. I certainly don't go around the Interwebs opening that can of worms as a matter of course. Certainly not on my friends' blogs.

    I've gotten progressively more up-in-arms about this issue the more sermons I hear from women. It comes up and I'm like, "Oh, you wanna mess with my homegirls? C'mere! I will SHOW you the meaning of, um.... 1 Timothy 2:8-15. With uh, brotherly love. And humility. And stuff. Yeah."

    Little-known fact: I actually came close to adopting a head scarf at a certain point in my life. Oh, how we change in life, eh Renee?

    A minister told me recently that most preachers are introverts, which means its difficult for them to get up there initially, but easier to shrug off criticism if people don't respond well. Extraverted ministers tend to be better-liked (what a surprise!) but struggle more with preaching because it can be a criticism-magnet. I can't imagine how this was determined but it's an interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess who didn't know what complementarian/egalitarian stuff was until I Googled it AFTER writing my first comment? This girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! At Sadie's second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...