Friday, September 14, 2012

Criticism, aka, "Yo girl, why you gotta be hatin' ?"

I got back critiques from class today.

The good thing is that the people who's writing I've most liked and respected also thought my writing was decent and gave me some helpful feedback.

The bad thing is that one girl told me that there were many things in my story "that are assumed and not actually factual or true" and she would suggest researching some facts.  (She doesn't actually tell me what "facts" I need to research.)

...This is a story that I was seriously considering not submitting because it's right on the line between fiction and creative non-fiction... But as I told a friend- I submitted it as fiction. There is no way for her to know that this story is based so closely in reality.

Must get thicker skin for people who don't know what they are talking about. After all, I can't have it all... I either get to be 24 and clueless about heartache, or 29 and a world-weary traveler, and I've chosen 24.

Thursday nights are my favorites because they are the only night I don't feel guilty about not doing one morsel of homework.

Oh and I'm going to a writer's retreat in the middle of October. I'm excited... and hoping I'm able to find a roommate or two for the retreat.

Yesterday's word was Meritocracy.

Anyone else think that Kara's been making the words extra hard to hide lately?? Yeah, me too! I mean how in the world am I supposed to be able to hide a word like proboscis??

YEAH.

And then I was all, like, "Check out the proboscis on that girl."

6 comments:

  1. Wait, are you saying that Kara picks the secret word? I'm do out of the loop. Ok, morsel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kara gives me the secret words. See this blog: http://minusambition.blogspot.com/2012/08/contested-and-exhausted.html

      Delete
  2. I'm SO out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is "morsel", as "proboscis" is pretty obvious.

    Side note: "proboscis" happens to be one of my favorite words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess i didn't pick a word yesterday, but there isn't a new blog yet, so I'm going with clueless

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...