Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Changing Force

Yesterday's word was jodhpurs. I'm moving this announcement to wherever I think it works best... heck it might be in the middle of some paragraph next week.

If this week was a meritocracy, Wednesday would be the supreme high ruler of everything.

Today I worked for 7 hours, took a 2 hour nap, went to 2 grocery stores, ate dinner and watched a tv show while eating, read a short story, read a chapter of dense book, read a page of critisicm summary, and chatted with a friend.

Oh and I also have to read a play and write 300 words about it... and it's 2:40 AM... I wish S-bucks was open at 3 in the morning.

I am Wednesday hear me roar!

But what I wanted to talk about was a tiny bit of the conversation I had with my friend. He'd written a blog post and wanted a second opinion before posting it, so he sent it to me cause... well... it's pretty obvious why.

Before I read it he told me that the post was "long and negative."

Now this friend is rather likely to overly self-critical so I wasn't expecting it to be as bad as he said. But then I read the post... and it wasn't negative at all.  Yes, he discussed frustrations, and yes he talked about when things were difficult. But he was also talking about a triumph. He ended with a victory. So, after reading it I rejoined him, "It's not about the negative. It's about overcoming the negative."

And that got me to thinking... The negatives have to be there. In every story there is a negative. If there isn't, there isn't much of a story.

But if, in the end, the negative isn't still reigning supreme then it's not about the negative.

It's about the changing force.

Sometimes in a story the changing force is a negative.

Sometimes in the story the changing force is a positive.

And since we all know that I currently view my life in terms of a trilogy: If you look at a typical trilogy format, you see a big negative changing force and then a small positive force in the first book, and then a mainly negative changing force in the second book, and then in the third, the big positive changing force.

So my life isn't about cancer or widowhood or the bad stuff that's happened... My life is about overcoming the bad stuff, and the farther into the third book I get, the better it is.

Though I still haven't met any Ewoks, which is one of my life's greatest sadnesses.

2 comments:

  1. Widowhood. So, I have to read ALL your blog now to see if I got the secret word? (I do anyway.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...