Sunday, September 2, 2012

Thoughts on Promenade

Yesterday's word was adroitly. Someone's on fire!

I was terrible today. I didn't do a lick of homework. Ok I read one short story, from which I would like to modify my previous statement: Creative writers write about death and the sexual molestation of children... I think I'm glad I'm one of the death-ers.

But that little bit was the only homework I did. As for the rest of the day-- I slept till noon (went to bed at 3 so it's not as bad as it sounds.) I wrote three semi-lengthy e-mails and this blog post. I talked to Kara on the phone for an hour and a half. I edited a story... maybe for the last time? (That might actually turn out to be homework, not sure yet.) I went and ate wings with friends and then played a game at Starbucks...

So tomorrow I'm declaring to be Un-fun Sunday. I can go to church and to lunch, but after lunch I have to go home and work on things for class... I could really get in the weeds with Shakespeare if I try to let myself coast any longer.

Plus, I honestly *want* to do my homework... I just keep getting distracted... And I did need to see some friends... The problem with job/school/homework is that my social life gets a little more smushed than I've been used to. This is why all my friends and I should get together and not talk to each other while we work in one big room.

I miss the Seminar Room at Scholars.

I miss the dorms in general... it was so easy to find someone who was either free or seeking the same length of procrastination that you were... and it was also easy to fall into long meandering conversations about life and who you are and who you were and the state of the universe... I don't have enough of those conversations anymore.

There simply is not enough just sitting around and talking in my life these days...

I know that sounds absolutely ridiculous considering I spend 9 hours per week in a classroom, but it is different.

And yes, I'm aware that I just said all my friends needed to get together in a room and not talk and then complained about the lack of conversations in my life... sometimes I think I'm more ok with the paradoxical nature of myself than I should be.

5 comments:

  1. Still on for the dorm-room-retirement plan. I mean, I gots a baby to take care of and a church to plant - but come 2043 we buy a big place, hire some young people to take care of us, and play Settlers of Cattan ALL FREAKING DAY LONG. For kicks, we can bring in professors and have them assign homework and then not do it!!!! Any Scholars house ex-pats and spouses welcome, others by invitation - we'll have an application process that you won't actually have to complete. Just prove you can throw a hacky-sac back and forth with Renee and pass a simple skills test over Notre Dame and Dominion. Oh - and compliment Renee's cookies. And elect me President, which I will very quickly abdicate to Scott what's-his-name.

    Come to think of it, other Scott - RA Scott really made me mad once, so he can't come. All OTHER Scholars House ex-pats though. RA Scott still owes me an apology for treating me like a serial killer when I was late to my desk shift one time. Seriously - he would have hand-cuffed me if he could have... Some people just can't handle authority. They use it to settle petty scores and play favorites and pick on innocent RAs who are just trying to run a tight ship... I mean...psildjf ... psldkfjsdo... YES I'M AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also hilarious because Scott Kernan PAA (President After Abdication) was actually an RA Scott, too... but not *the* RA Scott... who's last name I have also forgotten entirely.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...