Saturday, March 10, 2012

Fabric of my life

Kara told me I wasn't allowed to not blog anymore... It worries her and she comes over at 9 in the morning  with her baby to make sure my car is here and that my door is locked.

But I don't have a lot to say tonight and I'm kinda sleepy

So you are going to get a post about fabric tonight.

I've been struggling with pillows/fabric for my new couch. I really wanted an accent pillow or two that would pull it all together, but I was turning up nothing.

I couldn't find any fabric that had brown and gray together without yellow... but what I *really* wanted was brown, gray, red, and teal.

So I complained on facebook about how I couldn't find the fabric I wanted, and how I wanted to design my own...

And then someone was like, "Hey, yo, Spoonflower.com!"

I lied. They didn't say either "hey" or "yo"... I'm the only person I know who is that much of a pretend gangsta. For shizzle.

I checked out spoonflower despite the person's exceedingly vanilla-phrased recommendation.

And look at the awesome fabrics I designed with some free vector clip art I found! (I'm not advanced enough in the ways of Illustrator to know how to create vectors, but as I've said before, I'm a master at "bastardization.")

I call this one: Blue Bird Brocade
Red Bird Brocade
Red Bird Brocade Part Deux- I think this one is my favorite.
Birds and flowers
And then I decided to take one last trip to the most awesome fabric store in town, because spoonflower fabric (while perfect for designing exactly what you want) is at least $18 a yard. Yikes!

And I found a fabric that, while not featuring brown is really great... and then I figured out a way to incorporate the brown (namely the back of the pillow and some ribbon pleat trim

Premier Prints Suzani Twill Harmony/Red

So alls well that ends well... and I'm not even close to spending 18 dollars yet... more like 10 and all I need now is stuffing.

Though I might now be addicted to designing fabric... If only I *actually* knew how to work Illustrator!

Also- which fabric is your favorite? Should I leave fabric design to the professionals?

2 comments:

  1. Is that from FM? It looks like something I saw there once...

    Ah, FM. I hear your siren call. Alas, it is being drowned out by the sound of my baby snoring... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FM, indeed-- And also I was considering the exact same fabric online but it was like 1.50 cheaper at FM and I could guarantee that the blue matches my "current" blue. I heart FM!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...