Sunday, February 20, 2011

Keep Holding On

So my cable was scheduled to be turned off Friday, but here I sit on "Saturday night" (aka 1AM Sunday morning) with my cable still intact. I'm hoping this means that I will retain my cable for the long weekend. I've got my AT&T DSL connected so once I get a modem I won't be without internet... (That's kinda my plan for tomorrow, besides church.... buying a modem... Thrilling, eh?) But I'm sure the cable internet is faster, so I'm sticking with it until I have to say goodbye.

You know I say "long weekend," but I technically don't know if I have Monday off... I think that I do, but my boss doesn't pay attention to things like holidays and I always forget to check until the weekend has already started and I've lost my home copy of the leave policy. Well ok, I'm sure it's filed somewhere... but I'll be blamed if I know where. I'll just check when I go in tomorrow. Sometimes working at your church is convenient.

I charged Nathan's phone today... he has 8 new voice mail messages... but I don't know his password... This seems to be a recurring problem... however I assume when I go to talk to Verizon about changing my plan they will be able to let me check them... I called his phone today to hear his voice... probably not my smartest move ever... I just miss him. His phone also automatically signed him on to Skype, and it was a miserable minute and a half as I tried to find Skype on his phone to turn it off.

In other news I have a ridiculous amount of religious studies texts of Nathan's that I don't need or want... What do I do with those if I'm too lazy to put them all on e-bay? So many things that need to be gone through... so little desire to do it.

Being "alone" was a lot easier in college... cause if you got lonely it wasn't a big deal to just walk to someone else's room and ask what they were doing and work on homework together... or watch a movie together... or let the person play video games while you read... now it's a bigger deal. We don't all live in the same building... phone calls and plans and driving and all sorts of things are required to find company. We all have lives and I can't just show up at your door and knock... it's rude, now.

This is a rather disjointed blog tonight, eh? Well in the spirit of disjointed, I'm gonna leave you with a Glee video... I saw it on the episode I was watching the other day and I identified with Quinn (the blonde one who the glee kids are singing "to.") It's not the same storyline (for her, news just got out that she's pregnant and for me it's because I lost my husband) but it's the same support that I feel... and yes, it's hokey, but it's better than the Avril Lavigne video with clips from Eragon. Lay aside that healthy layer of cynicism and just listen to what the people are saying.

2 comments:

  1. The glee version is soooo much better than Avril's, imho. I'll be happy to deal with the textbooks, or even modem-shop. I miss the people-access of dorm life so much. And every time I think of Nathan's voice I hear in my head either his voice mail message or his laugh. There's a disjointed comment for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also miss people just showing up at your door/showing up at people's doors (even more so because I am now so far removed from most of my college friends AND most of my post-college friends). I didn't associate it with college until you said that. I was thinking about it in the, "It's a shame that it's not like fictional 1950s rural America, when you could just show up at your fellow housewife's door and shell peas together while drinking martinis." In actuality, I hate martinis AND shelling peas, and I can't imagine that either one could enhance the other, but my fantasy-generating brain knows nothing of this apparently.

    When I think of Nathan's voice I either hear him saying, "You know what would be so awesome right now?" a la after-small-group, or saying, "Guys? That's really interesting, but can we go back to X (where X is the main topic)." I can't remember what it was that was so awesome. I think it was ice cream or snow cones. But that's what I hear. I know it's strange, but I fondly remember how impatient he was sometimes. He was so good at softening it, but you could still tell that it was there and that being patient was a quality he had *achieved.* I liked that he sort of had this little bit of a temper under the surface. I'm not sure that's quite right. I don't think I've said just what I mean here... but I give up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...