Tuesday, June 14, 2011

If it takes us miles...

Once upon a time in my second to first blog post I talked about songs that catch in your heart. One of my favorites, "Both Sides, Now" by Joni Mitchell is one that I mentioned then. I've been enamored with that song since the moment I heard it. I was thinking and I've had a lot of songs stick on me, lately... probably because music is healing for the soul... But I find myself returning to old favorites tonight. My kindred songs if you will. For example: Solla Sollew.


Seussical has a lot of wonderful songs... but this one... I wish Horton was a girl so I could sing it in a show.... or that I was tapped to do a Broadway review and could sing anything I wanted... I think I would choose Solla Sollew. Haunting. I love songs that are haunting.

Ok I was going to try and resist... but I can't. I have to go to "Both Sides" now that I've mentioned it... But really... Maybe it loses something away from the music... but the music always plays in my head (This is the only rendition of my favorite version I could find on youtube... it has some "Sense and Sensibility" splicing at the beginning. -skip to 1:00, and if you know the music, feel free to ignore)

Anyway, read this. There is something in there... something that wends its way around your soul.

But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads, they tell me that I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all
I've looked at life from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all.

"I've looked at life from both sides now." I have. And I hope that I don't sound pretentious when I say that... but I *feel* it. Maybe it's growing up... maybe it's perspective... maybe it's all an illusion. I don't really know. Maybe I just need to find my Solla Sollew.

Maybe I *am* one of the emos I chuckle so fondly at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...