Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I'm a doctor, Jim, not a dentist!

I got me-self a new blanket the other day for 5 dollars. (And some store credit I had to spend or lose.) It's like a cable-knit sweater on one side and a really fluffy fleece on the other. It's just lovely.

And it keeps my feet toasty.

I lost my stitches today.

OK, confession? I cut out my stitches today.

They were starting to really irritate my gums ... for a few moments I thought the terror of the wisdom teeth had finally struck. The stitches were dissolvable so the nurse said they might fall out at anytime- from the next day to the next week. I just helped them along...

Seriously my gums were swelling and making my teeth hurt in the same way your gums do when that piece of popcorn kernel gets stuck and you don't know it and the next day your gums are all inflamed and angry, and eventually you discover it's the kernel piece and then in a few hours your mouth is back to normal.

That's pretty much exactly what happened with the stitches.... only these stitches were not vacating on their own volition... So me and a disinfected pair of scissors decided to help them along. and several hours later my gums are no longer angry with me

I'm a maverick.

I am annoyed by the sing-a-long/flirt fest that is loudly happening above my apartment at 1 in the morning. If Nathan were here he'd go yell at them... or at least find the broom. I'm anti-confrontational though... especially with strangers.

OK ok, I'm not a maverick. The only thing I can stand up to is inanimate stitches and even then I can't admit I actually stood up to them.

But seriously I looked at them. They were *never* going to dissolve.

I'm a dentist, I can tell these things.

wait....

5 comments:

  1. This is gross and scary! You are either very brave or very foolish. I can't decide which. BUT - and let me be totally clear here - despite the fact that we are best friends, I want it on record that we can never and will never be police partners. Like - if we both became police officers and the Chief was all, "Goeke, Dunn, new assignments are up and you two are partners," I wouldn't abide it. I would protest or move or quit or kick the Chief in the shins until s/he relented and assigned me someone else.

    Actually - I would just sit the Chief down and show him/her this post - proof that you are one of those crazy-unpredictables and I'm sure you will get me shot or something. "Who cuts the stitches out of their own mouth!?!" I'll fume. "Crazy-unpredictables, that's who! Obviously this is a woman who doesn't know proper boundaries! She's going to get me shot! Who knows - she might shoot me herself!!!" The Chief will nod, understandingly, and yooooouuuuu my friend will be driving a desk for the rest of your career!

    Aaaaaah! I seriously keep shivering in awe/revulsion/amazement/oh-my-goodness at the thought of you doing what you've said you've done.

    You cut them out yourself?!? Aren't you afraid things won't heal right??? What kind of sound did it make? Aaaah! Did it make a sound? Like a click? Did you use a mirror and a light? You don't have enough hands!

    I'm a completely freaked out.

    Your blog might have to be added to the "places online that shouldn't be visited at 3am list" (so far, the list only includes episodes of Star Trek that Josh warns me ahead of time are scary and anything Janis Burton labels as "creeples", b/c I just don't take many risks while surfing - and then, out of the blue, it turns out a visit to Renee's blog IS a risk!)

    AHHHHH!

    Okay - I'm going to make sure my baby is breathing and hasn't turned into something and then I'm going to try to go back to sleep - but it's a long road ahead of me b/c I keep imagining the sound the stitches made.

    Medical mavericks are not good kinds of mavericks! Next thing I know your going to be cutting off your own moles or or or piercing blisters with a pin or or - I don't even know what. I'm panicking beyond my ability to use commas and points of ellipses! All that's left are EXCLAMATION MARKS AND THE CAPS LOCK KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Kara: Renee's FIL once reapplied a crown with super glue. He's also removed bandages after surgery. She's supported in her maverick behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making your comment into it's own blog post, Kara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, your comment and my response to it, together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. DIY dentistry? Respect.

    I made Matt remove stitches from my back once. I kept telling him it was easy, because when I was in 4th grade my mom and I took them out of my cat after she'd been spayed and it was no problem. He was horrified. But he did it anyway.

    Shortly thereafter Stevie showed us that cats can remove their own stitches, so probably I didn't need that lesson in 4th grade after all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...