Friday, December 9, 2011

Miracle

Ok, so ... I went to the last "real" class today, and I worked. Then I went out with a friend from the class for an early dinner, then I came home and accidentally took a 4 hour (or so) nap...then I got up and made myself second dinner, cause it had been like 6 hours since I'd eaten... then I watched some Netflix and then I caught myself up on facebook and facebook is where I found this:


It's a bit self-indulgent, but you are going to have to bear with me. This video is so Nathan. He would have been absolutely delighted with it and so much of it reminds me of him. Well, you all know by now that acapella music and Nathan are pretty well inseparable in my mind... this time last year we were watching episodes of The Sing-Off in Barnes-Jewish. Granted this is more intricate than the hymns and barbershop that he liked best, but it's still acapella... and it's a bunch of Jewish guys singing about Hanukkah. We were at Barnes-Jewish during Hanukkah last year. Paula and I got dreydlekh. (that's the plural of dreidel- I looked it up.) And if that weren't enough, the whole thing is a strange near-rap about a religious holiday... that alone would have been enough to give my religious studies beau a kick.

All of that on it's own makes this video throb of Nathan... and then you see the little pop-up ad at the very end that tells you to follow a link to "join the Maccabeats Miracle Match Campaign."

No. Way.

Way. <- That's a link to the website, by the by.

Sure enough. That whole video is encouraging people to get put on the National Bone Marrow Donor registry-- well, especially Jewish people, but everyone.

Ach, I miss him.

I miss his excitement about stuff, and I miss having someone to talk to and not being alone if I don't make plans, and not having to drive everywhere, and just having someone to love and someone who loved me.

I'm doing so well, and I'm dealing so well, but it still sucks.. and I really wish I had the right someone to come and fill some of this void.

Someone tell me why the times when the grief hits the hardest are the times when I'm the most well-rested? What's up with that???

Hey, do me a favor. Click here and register to be a possible bone marrow donor. It doesn't matter that you haven't done it yet. I *just* got on it... but you could be someone's match... someone's miracle. You could save someone's life and save someone who loves that person from feeling the "sharp knife of a short life."

Oh, yeah, bonus fun fact about the video... It's made by the Maccabeats- Nathan's best friends growing up and still some of Paula's close friends: The McAfees (prounounced "Maccafees") I keep thinking I've heard of this group before, but I'm pretty sure that's just because I've heard McAfee so many times.

Seriously, sometimes I live in the Twilight Zone.

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty. I'm sorry the grief hasn't left you...I hope and pray you do find someone as good as Nathan. You deserve to be happy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...