Friday, July 20, 2012

Talent = Interest

I have this theory that the things we like the best are the ones that we are good at.

I think that there was once a study that proved that people's favorite color is the color that they look the best in, but I don't remember anything about the study except the results so it's quite possible I've made it up.

But I believe that the things people like to do are the things they are good at- two reasons that I can see for this.

1) If you are good at something you get positive reinforcement from others, so you have happy feelings regarding it.

2) If you enjoy something you will naturally spend more time on it and do it more, thus increasing your practice time with it and, as the saying goes, practice makes perfect.

There was just one flaw in my theory. And the flaw was how much I loved acting, when I don't think that I was, in fact, all that good.

But I think I've figured it out.  I love theatre because I love being a part of team effort, and I love people.  And I'm good at being a team member and generally with people... AND I loved acting because I'm *actually* good at public speaking- but I was so shy that acting was the closest I could come to public speaking, because I could funnel my own insecurity into becoming a "different person" so that I wouldn't have to be shy as that person. This is why the role I was most often cast in was the narrator.

*a light dawns in her eyes* Ooooooohhhhh! I get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...