Friday, November 25, 2011

Reading, Writing, and Funfetti

I've started to reread the Indian in the Cupboard... and I realized now that I've actually embarked on writing a YA novel that I really pay attention to how authors write. I have to keep reading and plow through to let my brain disengage... It's a little sad, actually.  But good for me. If I'm going to be an author this is the type of stuff I *should* be paying attention to, rather than just relying on my instincts.

Don't get me wrong, I think I have good instincts. Honed from reading millions and millions of books.... ok maybe thousands and thousands... but good instincts nonetheless. But it might be good to be aware of the choices I'm making so that I can defend them if need be.

I thought the other day while reading over someone's work. "Why didn't I become an editor?" I really enjoy sitting with a colored pen, marking up manuscripts.... but maybe that's why. I'm too much of an old fuddy-duddy, still marking manuscripts by hand when I could be digitally editing... there is just something so comfortable about sitting there reading a physical page with a pen in your mouth. Especially if it's something you enjoy reading, rather than a some scholarly paper or an instruction manual.

Maybe I wasn't supposed to yet. Maybe I there were some experiences I needed to have and some time that needed to pass before I was ready... I never actually knew I was a writer until the past few months.

Dreams and plans can change so fast... and so slow.

Hey! I found a Funfetti sweater!!! I'm so excited. I just had to go to the Jrs section to find it. Oh Arizona company... I still love you, even after all these years.


It kinda looks like this

only with buttons
And the most important part is that when you see it up close it looks like this:


Funfetti!!


1 comment:

  1. Bring IitC with you at Christmas! I saw in a pre-black Friday ad the movie and it took me back to 6th grade and I wanted to read them again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...