Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Girl of the Museumlost

You know what's hard? Editing myself. I'd never make it on Project Runway. I can't seem to stop myself. What's that? I have lots of nail polish? I should wear it all at once!

What's that? I need to choose wedding colors? I choose them all!

What's that? I need to write down my thoughts? I'll write down them all!

I just don't want to choose one thing. It's exceedingly dull... Until I spot someone else doing it and think, "Oh, isn't that elegant! So simple, so refined. So straight forward."

But then I go to paint my nails again and the glitter... or the design... or the scrapbooking scissors call my name and I'm off to the races. I need to find someone to help me focus my energy and tell me when to stop.

Back home from the 6 Flags adventure. The girls and I had a lovely time, only used a tank of gas and a gallon, and Wore. Ourselves. Out. City Museum= best workout ever... even if my knees are bruised from crawling around on the floor and my leg is bruised from an uncooperative rope swing. It was so much fun... I only wish I had more time/ more energy to do everything... and that I'd worn pants... and that I wasn't afraid of heights. Cause if I wasn't I could have been one of those people crawling through the mesh tunnel in the sky, off that airplane wing....
The City Museum, aka adult playground is 12 dollars. The terror is free.
I didn't get to do half of the things I wanted to do, but I was so exhausted when we left that I'm not sure I could have done much more.

Then it was 6 Flags today. The weather was rainy this morning but after I informed everyone that the plan was for the rain to scare away the park go-ers and then to get really nice so that we could enjoy the park, those storm clouds shaped right up and skedaddled.

I love amusement parks... I looooooove amusement parks. They juice me up... I'm not an extrovert, I'm a parktovert. I didn't know this, but it isn't true of everyone. I've gone to amusement parks with my family who are like me and with friends who didn't actually like amusement parks, so I just assumed that their waning spirits were due to the park not being their thing... but it's not true. Today I was with girls who like roller coasters and amusement parks and I still outlasted them... and drove home while they slept it off.

Interestingly enough- heights on amusement park rides don't give me a second thought. It's something about the control... If I have control of the climbing and the moving over the heights, I can't do it... if I don't have control, then I'm totally fine. Someone needs to psychoanalyze me, I think.

At the City Museum there was this adorable little girl that I watched for about 5 minutes. I'm going to place her at approximately age 6. She wandered in from outside and was wearing a sparkly pink dress. She was precious. She came in and started looking around. She walked to one doorway and then back  to close to where we were and then stood and turned in a circle for a few minutes, looking more and more confused.... and then she went to the fountain that we were sitting near and put her head on her hands and stared at the fountain. Just as I was about to get up and go ask her if she was lost, her dad came down the stairs looking for her. He saw her and called her name and gestured for her to come while asking her (teasingly) what happened... and she looked up at him with a huge grin.... and then the poor thing started crying and her dad came all the way down the stairs and sat down next to her and hugged her and asked her again what had happened to her in a much softer tone. It was super sweet... and I thought to myself how brave she'd looked when she was lost. What a tough face she'd put on, when I know she just wanted to cry when she realized she didn't know where her family was... and I thought to myself that that sparkly-pink-dressed-little-girl is my kindred spirit, because she was doing exactly what I would have done in the same situation...  Everything from the obviously lost-ness, to the pretending like I'm not lost because I don't want someone to come up and talk to me, to the tears when I'm finally found. And you know what? As the casual observer I think she did exactly the right thing. She confirmed that she was lost and then found a central spot to sit down and wait for someone to find her.... and then I think I should follow that little girl's lead.... If you just sit down in one place and wait, eventually the people who are looking for you will find you....... And then you can cry.

3 comments:

  1. I'm 100% with you on the control of a amusement park ride versus the not-in-control thing. I'll ride the zaniest roallercoasters... the bigger, higher, faster, loopier, the better... bring it on. But, even though I'm not actually scared of heights (I can climb to the highest points at City Museum), when I'm just walking around on the sidewalk, I'm worried about falling and hurting my knees or wrists, so I always look at my feet.. I'm scared to death of rollerblades, and you'd never catch me rock climbing in real live nature.

    Next time you do Six Flags, let me know, I've never been to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *an amusement. I am editing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the exact opposite-- I am terrified of roller coasters, but if I am in control of my speed and height, I'm fine! The result is that I drive like a maniac and I'll climb anything, but I actually once waited in line for an hour for the Batman ride and then completely lost it when they buckled me in. They had to let me out. And this wasn't like a little-kid freakout. I was 14!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...