Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Revel in the Awesome

I know that this feeling shall pass, as all feelings do, but for right now I would like to revel in the awesome.

I sent in my story for peer review Monday afternoon. I was kinda nervous about it, because it wasn't anything like most of the stories that were already in. It is for younger kids, the chapters are *much* shorter than anything anyone had done (though similar in length to the early readers I found in the library). And most of all, it was in first person.

But I went ahead and submitted it, because I wasn't happy with my other attempt at an early reader.

Today we reviewed the early readers... and I got a rave.. Such a rave!

My teacher started out with saying that it made her laugh out loud. I responded, "Good!"

And then she said, "I'm not kidding, I was up in my office, sitting at my desk, laughing." I smiled, cause I felt this could only be to my good.

And then she said, "I only have valentines for you." (She calls things that we like about a work valentines.) And then I really started grinning. She then went on to say she thought it was ready to send out to the world and see if there is any interest in my story, but that I should look into finding an agent first. Agents are apparently harder to find/get, but necessary if you want to make a living off your work. She asked the class if they had any comments and everyone just said that they loved it. My professor even made a point of saying that she really looked for something to critique and just couldn't find anything. One student said it was brilliant and asked me what my process was for coming up with this story... I felt like a celebrity. Now, to be fair, if anyone hadn't liked it after such glowing reviews it would have been nigh on impossible for them speak up about it. But still, I'm thrilled.

I was bobbing my head- trying to look at Dr. Stringam as she was talking to me but unable to stop looking down because while it's lovely it's also embarrassing to be praised so much. And as we all know, a bowed head is a sign of humility. Several people told me good job as I was leaving the classroom. I was just... thrilled.

Of course, now I'm a bit paranoid that nothing is going to live up to my shining moment of an easy reader..... but who's it going to hurt to try? And I want the criticism. That's why I took the class. I want to know what people think and if there is any way to improve my work. But that's another day. Today I think I should just be inordinately proud of myself and tarry in this glow a bit.

1 comment:

  1. I'd be happy to try workshopping it if you'd like. Ryan Baker's a writer as well and I think he has been in workshop classes (though I'm not positive), so he might be willing too. Feel free to send it my way if you're interested :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...