Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Salesman's Nightmare

It's amazing how intimidating writing something can be.. every night I keep thinking it will be the night I sit down and start cranking out a script... (one act or reader's theatre is the next assignment.) And then I do no cranking. I have a few ideas... but I think I'm waiting for that flash of inspiration... I need to just start writing and then it will hit I think... yet I let myself be intimidated. Deadlines are great though... I think if I become a real-life author it will be slightly easier because I will have deadlines... Of course maybe not, since I don't actually have any idea how being an author works, except for what I see on TV/Movies.

Did I tell you the story of my nail?

One day Renée went to go get her mail. But instead of reaching into the mailbox, Renée just slammed her hand into the side of her mail cubby. It hurt really bad, and she might have even said a bad word in her head. When she looked at her hand her pinkie nail had started to rip and the whole nail was slightly cockeyed. Now it's hard for Renée to type because she can't really use her pinkie.

The moral of the story is: Don't be a clutz.

akimbo is a fabulous word, don't you think?

Akimbo and amuck.

I'm getting pastries in the mail sometime this week. Isn't that just fabulous?

Someone remind me to do laundry tomorrow. I need clean clothes.

I think that I've determined that I view a person's online presence as nearly the same thing as their actual presence. Perhaps why I love facebook so much? I think that I'm odd for this.

I've had two conversations in two days about the relationship between a husband and wife, and how it works... and I've realized that 1) I have super traditional thoughts on this and 2) it's not necessarily how most people think. I was talking to a friend who told me I needed to move to New Zealand- long story. But anyway I refused because I would need at least half of my friendship circle to move as well to be able to make it in a different country. But then I said, if a New Zealand guy came over, swept me off my feet, and married me then I'd move, cause I'd move to New Zealand for my husband. My friend said, "That must be some cool guy." (well, obviously if I'm marrying him!) But I said, "You got that wrong- I'm a cool chick... and sides... if we are married then... well... we're married." And then again today I was talking to someone else about this and wives kinda decreeing what the guy is going to do with his life... and I said... But that just doesn't make sense... cause I mean if the other person cares about something and is passionate about it... you support them.

Am I setting the feminist movement back 100 years by saying that my natural inclination is to support/follow my husband where he goes? I don't think so? I'm not saying that I can't have a career, or that he shouldn't support my passions and desires as well... but I wouldn't stand in his way just because I was uncomfortable with a new city or because I had a different plan for our life. And my first instinct is to think of his needs... just like he should be thinking of mine.

Of course I don't want to be told I have to make those kind of sacrifices, either. I want to feel like I'm choosing to make them... so perhaps I have a bit of a stubborn streak after all. I really don't respond well to being told how I should do something or only being given 2 options. I tend to balk.... and then create a third option for myself.

I am a salesman's nightmare.

And salesmen are mine.

2 comments:

  1. That actually happened to an old friend of mine (my maid of honor, in fact!). I mean, she met a guy from New Zealand. Feet swept. Moved to New Zealand, had baby.

    I think choosing to do so is the critical factor. If your husband saw that you would be miserable in New Zealand, and said, "Tough cookies, wife! You have to go anyway, because I am the husband!", and everyone you knew said, "Well, that's what you have to do. Who cares how you feel about it?" I bet you wouldn't feel quite the same about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't marry a guy from New Zealand. It rains a lot and the people tend to not be very friendly. At least, those were my experiences. I much prefer you marry an Australian. Nicer weather, friendlier people, beautiful beaches, and amazing accents.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...