Saturday, February 25, 2012

Writing

"We do not write because we want to; we write because we have to." -W. Somerset Maugham

I was reminded of this today, when I was complaining about some aspect of what we do to a writing friend of mine.

I said, "Why do we do this again?"

And she said,"Because nothing else makes us feel this way." 

And I said, "Oh yes, we write because we must."

Writing time is about to get scarce, with the advent of my move. But I must.

At this point it's too much a part of my soul to do anything else...

Strange how little more than a year ago I never would have thought that about myself.

I've always been good with words. I was taunted that I "read the dictionary for fun."-in high school, no less. Almost every English teacher I've had has read my stuff aloud to the class or given me high written praise. I liked vocab tests for heaven's sake, but it took me until 28 to realize how much I like it. How great I think it would be to make a career out of it. That I am in fact a writer... who writes because she must.

And if I had even one fewer person encouraging me, who knows if I'd be able to say that, today.

Writers are not born, they are made

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...