Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spanish for "the Nino"

I forgot to tell you the day that I remembered the Spanish word for cow (vaca) out of nowhere from my high school Spanish class.

Senorita Dunham would be so proud.

I'm actually rather terrible with languages. I remember the color song from Spanish and that Wednesday is called Miercoles. Poor Wednesday. It's always saddled with the longest name!

Also the library is the biblioteca.

And shoes are zapatas.

And dog is pero**

Actually, come to think of it, it turns out that I remember a lot of random words from high school Spanish.

I also remember that the teacher taught us that if you put a can of sweetened condensed milk on the lowest burner setting of an electric stove for like 2 or 3 hours you will have dulche de leche.

Apparently the internet doesn't think this is safe.

Danger of exploding de leche and whatnot.

And now I'm really sad that the scene in Holiday Inn where all of Bing Crosby's home-canned jam explodes  is nowhere on the entirety of the youtubes.

It's classic, just trust me.

Buh-- I'm super sleepy. I'm going to bed now. You can't stop me.

**it's "perro" with 2 r's. I knew it, but I wrote the blog late at night and unfortunately pero is also a Spanish word meaning "but." Choose to believe me as you will, but I thought I should make a note of it

2 comments:

  1. The memory of Senorita Male forces me to point out that dog is "perro" with a trilled R, while "pero" means "but."

    ReplyDelete
  2. boil the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a pan of water at a low simmer for around 4 hours, just make sure that you don't let it boil dry. That will produce your dolce de leche and the water will prevent it getting too hot so it won't explode. Once the 4 hours are up, just leave the can in the water overnight for it to cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...