Wednesday, April 20, 2011

GPS Life Lessons

I have learned some very important lessons today regarding my GPS.

1) It takes a really long time to download map upgrades.... a REALLY long time... I was planning on leaving at 4 or so-- earlier if I could. So I started the map download all unawares. You see I was going to update the maps last night but there was a problem with the security certificate (the problem remained this afternoon but I took a chance... I'm such a rebel!). So I started the map download/update at 3:15 thinking I was giving it plenty of time... or not. I left as soon as the maps were updated... at 6:15.

2) Even though I got the latest update, the poor little GPS is still confused by the awesome new bypasses that have sprung up since the last time I came homeward... He just kept trying to re-ca-alculate over and over.. I'm surprised he didn't just throw his imaginary hands in the air and say, "Blimey! 'Ow did you get over there? There's no' even a road there!" (I have my GPS set to the male British dude.) He calls exit ramps "slip roads" and I think it's just adorable.

3) Never trust a GPS in the country. I know how to get to my sister's house from Kirksville, but my GPS told me to go a different way... I did, thinking maybe it was a better way. It's was NOT a better way! It was a series of 4 or 5 crazy curvy back roads with a posted speed limit of 55 but it's absolutely impossible to actually go 55 on them because of all the hills and curves and road signs with a suggested speed of 35 on the next mile... and those signs show up every mile.  So while the GPS told me I would get here at 11:13 suddenly it turned into 11:26, because it was judging me for listening to MoDot and not careening into the dark at a breakneck pace. (And yes, on these unfamiliar snake roads at 11:00 at night, 55 would have been a pace to break your neck at.) I saw one other car the whole time.  I'm really glad my life isn't a horror movie cause I would be murdered about 45 different ways right now. I think Navi was mad at me for driving on the bypasses... but no Camdenton or Lake of the Ozarks traffic? Heck, yeah!

Yes, I call my GPS, "Navi" ... Yes, it is named after the fairy in Ocarina of Time. It only seems appropriate. I mean it's pretty well constantly saying, "Hey! Listen!"

Well, I think I'm going to try and go to bed now... it's really early for me but I'm tired from driving and belting out songs for 5.5 hours, and apparently my sister is a crazy person who tells my parents that she wakes up at 9 or 9:30. Of course, since Jeriah was asleep when I got here I actually expect to be awoken by pouncing or head butting earlier than 9:00. He's all boy, that one.

3 comments:

  1. Navi is also the name of the supercomputer built by the title character in the anime "Lain." Every time she starts it up it says, "Hello, Lain" and she says, "Hello, Navi." It doesn't sound like it but it creeps me out every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh in every post. You have a great gift for writing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your visit is restful, and with all the headbutts you can handle (and not a single one more).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...