Monday, April 11, 2011

Someday, sweetheart, someday.

I've noticed that my blog commenting has increased... I find this just thrilling. Keep up the good work! Especially those of you who are taking a break from Facebook (Horrors!) and thus blog comments are my only means of communication with you. Yes, I'm looking at you, Sadie and Rhonda. Seriously... I can't fathom why anyone would choose to take a break from facebook. But maybe that's why, eh? I'm a cautionary tale of the addictiveness of facebook. Don't turn out like me, kiddos. Also, I'm shouting out to Katie and Rebecca who both have been commenting frequently... Who knew that you would get such immediate rewards for commenting and telling me I could talk about you by name, eh?? And of course to Queen Mara... who is a sea of bitterness because I arbitrarily changed her name to "sea of bitterness" and because she still owes me a dollar- Royalties be damned! :) (If that last sentence made no sense to you go and read the comments on my last post.)

Ok, I have something to tell you that is really really exciting for me... and I feel like I need to tell you all, because I just can't keep a secret like this from you all. I'm being given a car! Right now, I have a 2 cars... My Grand Am and Nathan's Jeep. Neither of them are in very good condition or reliable and it doesn't make much sense for a single girl to have two cars.. and to be paying insurance on two cars. So my incredible in-laws decided to give me a car because they want to "take care of me like Nathan would want them to." I know... I told you I'm blessed... None of the car salesmen could believe it. Everyone who heard leaned back and their eyebrows went up in their hairline... and then they heard the whole story and I watched their faces change... and suddenly they started caring more about me, too... It's like by this incredible act of generosity they lost a bit of the salesman facadé and maybe saw a bit more of their customer's humanity... Or maybe they were just good salesmen and it was an act... but I don't think so. The one who helped me said it was about the best story he'd ever heard, Bill and Paula taking care of me like this... So what kind of a car am I getting? Well, let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time there was a girl named Renée who was married to a wonderful guy named Nathan. And as was her wont Renée would sometimes dream bigger than she and her husband's wallet actually would allow for. So sometimes she would see commercials for a particular car on TV and say to Nathan, "Nathan, can I have one of those? Can we buy one? I liiiike it!" And Nathan would smile indulgently and say, "Absolutely. Someday when we are 50 or so, I will buy you one." And Renee would fake pout and say, "Not now?" And Nathan would smile and say, "Someday, sweetheart, someday."

I remembered this story as I drove home from the Toyota dealership, after putting down a deposit on my Prius. It was really hard to keep back the tears while heading down National, passing Scholars. Only a few tears escaped... driving and crying aren't very good companions. I had perfect timing, the car salesman said... a day earlier and they probably wouldn't have known that they had the Prius- I got the last one and 2 hours after I wrote the deposit check he told me they already could have sold the car twice, if I'd not gotten it. The Prius isn't here, yet, it's going to be 2-3 weeks before I get it (I'm hoping for less, so that I can take it on my trip home for Easter). But I can't help but feel like it's a last big gift from Nathan. I certainly wouldn't be getting it if it weren't for him. I'm so excited. I'm so loved.

The events of the past few weeks/months make me certain that God is here, watching over me. Making sure I'm supported and loved. I've not been abandoned... He is working, even if not in the way that I would have chosen.

Have you ever listened to Josh Groban's song, To Where You Are? (I know that should actually be in quotes but I hate putting a question mark inside the quotes when it actually isn't part of the thing being quoted.) Anyway, I knew all the words but I never really listened to the song before everything... sometimes thestrals aren't just creepy winged horses.

9 comments:

  1. Aww, how sweet of them! Dang it, this post made me tear up...but I forgive you, because you gave me quick turnaround on the shouting of the out.

    (And - a Prius! Freakin sweet!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a huge Josh Groban fan in high school, so I know the song well. That doesn't make it easier to listen to without crying, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My capatcha to post a comment was a real word - "hippo." And I'm eating a piece of pizza. Maybe Google is trying to tell me something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGPRIUS!!!!111one

    Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, props for the Thestral reference! They were one of my more favorite magical creatures in Harry Potter.

    Also, I love Blogger's captchas, and how they look like words. MORSTSCH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I want it noted that I loaded the page BEFORE Katie commented, so I didn't see her comment, just heard her mumble the observation from the laptop.

    Also, WASTA! FORACT! OBLED! FHTAGN! FHTAGN! Oh no! I've figured it out! Blogger's captchas are secretly cultists of the Elder Ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha I didn't know Hippo was a cultist of the Elder Ones.... That's rather unfortunate. Wasta sounds way cooler. I'd hang wit' him.... not Hippo though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Bill and Paula, thanks for taking care of my friend Renee. She really loves your son. When I first met Paula, afterward I said to my husband, "Well, that apple didn't fall very far from his tree!" And this is another thing that makes it really easy to see where Nathan got his incredible spirit. What a generous thing to do.

    Jon, when I got to the Fhtagn I was like, whoa, we're getting Cthonic here. Then I realized you did it on purpose. I had a little panic there worrying that the loathesome fish-headed blasphemies were rising from the depths of the interwebs to ensnare our minds with colors from outer space and horrors from outside of time.

    The Facebook break has been good for my soul. Sometimes my mind is like a computer that desperately needs to be defragged, and everyone knows that when you are defragging, you can't run Facebook at the same time. But seriously, I slide way too easily into playing to what I think people want me to be, and sometimes I need a time-out to take an honest look at myself. Also, Matt won't give me my password back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome!! I'm so happy you have so many wonderful people to look out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you take us on a ride in your Prius? I've only been in one and it smelled funny, which I (perhaps wrongly) attributed to the Prius instead of the driver.

    He also had plastic or something covering the dashboard... the whole thing was weird, I guess.

    Congrats! What colour did you get?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...