Friday, April 8, 2011

Tonight, tonight...

I often wonder how many people catch my musical theater references... 

This blog post is going to be strongly themed Nathan... He was very close to my heart and mind today.

I was right-- long day.. but really good. People just blow me away, constantly, with their kindness and their generosity, and their support. Several people told me tonight how strong they thought I was... If I am strong it is because of you. I've been telling a lot of people lately, it seems, about how *well* God is taking care of me... He didn't keep Nathan here, but I have not been abandoned either... There are so many things that people couldn't plan, that no one should have known, that just shouldn't be the way they are... and yet... they are. I have been blessed beyond my wildest imaginings financially, with friends and family, and circumstances. I like to think that Nathan is up in heaven pestering God to take care of me... and that, along with all of your thoughts and prayers, mean I'm being given special extra awesome super grace-love. I'm so grateful... so very grateful.

I almost choked up several times tonight... My voice definitely trembled once or twice... Nathan was a really special guy... I knew that... but I'm pretty sure he would have been blown away by how many of you thought that, too. He really had no idea the impact he made in people's lives. If I can make half the impact in my life that he did in just 25 years I will be thrilled.

By the way, 5 West nurses, I miss you. I saw Melissa tonight just for a brief moment, and it just made me think about how much I miss you all. The situation that brought us together was horrible, but you all are some of the greatest souls that exist in this world. Seriously, I wish that no one would ever have to learn this, but oncology nurses (and drs)... I think they get special crowns in heaven... special crowns with extra stars and shiny bits and other majesties.

One of our friends shared some pictures with me today from college (and the graveside service in Arkansas) that I thought I would share with you.

 Seriously... how hot is he! Possibly the only boy in the history of the world who can look that good wearing a pink cap that says "Baby Boy" on it.... probably the only boy who would try.




This was so typical... Jordan Valley and a guitar.










This pretty well was our relationship... Him staring off into the distance, making plans, and me, watching him, waiting to see how I could help.





I loved his casket topper. It was the sticks... He would have loved it, too.








This one is beautiful... but it makes me really sad...  That 2011 should be a misprint.

7 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to accept how few of the people in Religious Studies I know these days. I'm still in the department, to some extent, but as a non-traditional student there are a lot of them I don't see or meet.

    The amount of people at Panera last night blew me away, most of whom didn't know me either but who were younger people in the department and had met Nathan at some point, and who were so impressed (an understandable response, to my mind) by Nathan that they continue thinking about and contributing to his memory. I spoke with a few graduate students I knew, and a few undergrads I didn't, and am continually amazed at Nathan's legacy.

    Pestering God seems right. If you ever wonder what the Catholics mean by praying to the saints, it's this same relationship. Nathan's closer than us to the throne now, so between games of ultimate frisbee he can pester :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. I like the pink hat, and the sticks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Today, all day, I had a feeling a miracle would happen - I know now I was right..."

    I like to think I catch them all, but I think maybe you know more than I do. :)

    And you're right - I don't think Nathan had any idea.

    "Did you know how you would move us, did you know? Did you know how you would move us? Well, I don't really think so..." I've had to put a lot of songs on "skip while shuffling" to avoid emotional spring attacks while driving.

    In other news, do you know who the girl is in the photo with the guitar? Everyone looks so different than they did my freshman year. I mean, I'm not sure I was at this particular Jordan Valley guitar session, but surely I know her, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe pic #2 was what led Wes to shout "Get a haircut hippy!" at Nathan when I was checking into the dorm.

    Also, note the puppy poster in the background of pic #1. It kind of completes the pink hat ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first pic was in our suite in Scholars our freshman(?) year...judging by the amount of crap in the background (which would have meant Laura P was my suitemate, lol). I think that's when. Wasn't that Christy's hat?? The second pic, that's Erin McG. You were there, Katie! I had a night of experimenting with no flash on my little point and shoot, so most of them from that night are really yellow and blurry...but there's some cool ones there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, that was definitely Nathan's hat-- I think we sold it in a garage sale last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW - Erin! Never would have guessed - though i can't see her face.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...