Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Last Goodbye

I saw a picture today of a boy wearing his sister's bright pink "Cancer Sucks" t-shirt underneath his suit, standing next to her casket. He had his jacket and dress shirt open like he was in the middle of turning into Superman, and he's got that look on his face... the "I'm trying so hard to laugh and be goofy but it hurts so much at the same time" look... I recognize that look... I know that desperation.

The only thing I don't like about the photo is the caption. "Wearing his sister's shirt under his suit as he says goodbye for the last time."

It's not goodbye for the last time... As long as he is alive it won't be goodbye for the last time... not for him. That's what grief is... at least to me... learning how to say goodbye constantly... learning that goodbye isn't a one time event... it's something that you have to do every day. Some days goodbye is harder... some days it is easier... but the last goodbye... that's the one you make when you leave... not when they leave.

2 posts in the same night... It's like Crazy Dave's Discount Blog Sale up in here!! Oh wait... blogging doesn't cost either of us any money. Hmmmmm, maybe someone's been using the think system on me from the parlor.
(It's a movie quote... a rather obscure one at that... go!)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...