Friday, April 29, 2011

Prius, Anne, and Photography in Disaster

I got a call this morning from the car man! My Prius is in Springfield... of course he had to make sure they had the title and it has to have a "pre delivery inspection" but it's in town!! This is progress! They didn't get it all spiffed up yet, so I won't get it until tomorrow. He said around noon, but I'm anxious, and hoping it's before then... Also... tomorrow is 3 months. As if I didn't already think of this car as a last big surprise gift from Nathan, it being delayed so much only to be given to me on the 3 month mark, exactly? That's not the kind of stuff that can be planned... but it is the kind of stuff that makes me feel like I've got someone looking out for me. Also, I have the Glee Warblers album waiting for me at the library... so the first CD my Prius plays is going to be the Warblers. And I know that it probably seems really trivial to you, but I *love* the Warblers.. and Nathan was *very* into acapella music, from growing up Church of Christ. God allows the universe to be arranged in strange and mysterious and heart-warming ways.

I called our car insurance place to tell them about the new car, and to finally have Nathan removed from the policy... I was kinda dreading it, because I thought I was going to have to go in to talk to them, and I'm just not a big "talk to our representative" kind of person... I hate that stuff, actually. But Michelle... or Melissa, was super nice and did everything over the phone easily and quickly. No one wants to stay on the phone with you for very long after you tell them your husband died... it kills the "upsell" faster than anything I've ever seen... a fact for which I'm very grateful. I also had to call and talk to the credit card company and have them remove Nathan from the account, and they wanted to get off the phone with me just as quickly.  I'm sooo not complaining.

I want to watch Anne of Green Gables again. (There is only one version of Anne to me, the Megan Follows Anne.. all other versions are mere shadows of Anne.) The only problem is finding the time to watch it... Like everything else in my life what I really need is someone else to watch it with me. That's right I don't even like to watch TV by myself. Oh, I will, I just don't like it. Of course for the next few days I may just live in my car... maybe I should borrow someone's laptop and watch Anne in my car... Brings new meaning to the words "drive-in theatre." No blackberry cordial in the car, though.

So I'm currently going through Quantum Leap via Netflix, and I've gotta say I enjoy it... It's one of those shows that I wasn't old enough to watch when it actually aired, but thought was really cool when my parents would randomly watch an episode, or I was accidentally allowed to stay up late. In case you don't remember, Quantum Leap is a show which makes a mockery out of quantum physics, but basically this guy is in the midst of an experiment gone awry (in 1995!) and time travels ("leaps") into the bodies of different people who lived during his life span, with the theory that he will leap out again, after fixing something in this person's life. He saves lives, causes Watergate, and  brushes up against people from his own life and celebrities lives (Elvis, Donald Trump, Michael Jackson, ect). All the while trying to leap back into his own body.  Oh and he also has a sidekick who appears as a holographic projection from the future (aka 1995). It's a bit cheesy at times and the special effects are definitely not the caliber that we expect these days, but it's really *fun.* And much easier on the emotions that watching the nightly news. (God bless everyone hit by those tornadoes... I know what having your life turned upside down is like. Ach, my heart goes out to them.)


Also, props to NBC news crews who went to London (some people are getting married... you may have heard? There are coats of arms and crowns involved?) and then when they heard about the devastation at home, came back to the US and to the south. I really don't like looking at pictures, though. I don't mind the interviews, but the photos feel like such an invasion of privacy to me... I know that people want to know what's happening and the only way to know the scope is through images... but... something in me really revolts when confronted with people who (appear to) have no knowledge they are being photographed, and who are so openly grieving... I think I may be more sensitive to this than most, given the experiences of my life over the past year or so. I just feel like that person's obvious pain coupled with the text displaying this natural disaster's "theme" (Path of Destruction) cheapens it all... But maybe I'm the only one who feels this way and there are some vehement supporters of photography capturing the faces of disaster? Sound off!

5 comments:

  1. When I went down to LA right after Katrina, I had my camera...I took a few pictures that had people (residents) in it that weren't in our volunteer group. I felt gross because they didn't know I was taking pictures (though from afar).

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree that respecting peoples' privacy is important, I also think those pictures are an important way of showing the world that disasters are more than just having to replace all your stuff. I think they can inspire empathy, and that can't be bad, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. April's a big fan of AoGG, and I kind of like the old one too >_> Movie night?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Megan Follows Anne of Green Gables too. No other Anne could ever live up to hers. I am so glad your new car is finally in town...and hopefully right now you are behind the wheel. Have fun. You really deserve some fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...