Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Yikes, Smells, and Saving

I cleaned off my desk today. I'm like a big girl or something. Let's not talk about the rest of my apartment which I didn't actually get around to cleaning...

Ok, so Kara and I were driving tonight and I didn't think that a car coming at us was going to stop at their red light as we went through an intersection. So I said, "Yikes!" and then, "Gosh, I didn't think he was going to stop!"

Then Kara proceeded to giggle at me for saying "Yikes!" To which my first response was, "I'm adorable! That's adorable!" and then I said, "And anyway, I say that all the time." But Kara doesn't think that I do, she thinks I must just say it in my head a lot. I disagree, and the only way we can settle this is to poll you, my dear readers. Have you heard/read me say "yikes" to you? Or is Kara right, and it's all in my head? I mean if I'd said "Jinkies!" then I think Kara would have a point... but "yikes"? I say it all the time! Right, guys? ...Right? ...Guys? ...Don't let the crickets start chirping, guys!

BTW, By request of Kara, I'm removing the captcha requirement to leave a comment-- she dislikes it and I will see how much spamming I actually get.... and how much it actually changes Kara's process to leave a comment.

I noticed something tonight when I entered my apartment. It doesn't smell right. Not even bad, just not "right." You know how each person's house smells distinctive? As in, if you could bottle the smell of a dwelling and then do a blind test- I could tell you whose house it is? Is this just me? Surely it isn't. Anyway, my house doesn't smell right. And I don't know if it's because Nathan isn't here to make it smell differently, or if it's because I burned dinner last week and the carbon molecules in the air have absorbed some latent odor, or if it's the changing season.. It's weird when your house doesn't smell like you... It's like I just moved or something.

I was watching the news tonight for a little while, and of course it was all about Osama and 9/11... And at one point they interviewed the families of several 9/11 victims... One woman talked about her husband, and how she wanted to find her husband's wedding ring from ground zero... another girl was sent her mother's drivers license from the rubble and she has saved it...and then they talked to this man and asked him what he saved... and he said he never falls asleep on his wife's side of the bed. For 10 years he has saved that spot for her, and he said, "I know she isn't there. I wish she was, but I know she isn't."

Then they cut back to the news reporters, and the man (whom I didn't recognize) said, "Just to think, he saved her side for 10 years..."

And then Diane Sawyer shook her head and with a tone of respect and wonder said, "10 years..."

And I was both horrified and terrified. I heard the admiration in her voice... and I'm so afraid that that is what is expected of me... That somehow if I don't hold onto Nathan to the exclusion of all others for 10 years or even for the rest of my life, it will cheapen our relationship in the eyes of the rest of the world. I recently heard of some young teen star (I know, obvious font of wisdom) quoted as saying that her grandmother was her hero, because she never re-married after her grandfather died, and that showed true love. I'm a romantic. I know about pledging eternal devotion, I know about the romance of admiring from a far- suffering in silence, I know about the story of Romeo and Juliet... That's one of the most well known love stories on the planet... and the main characters kill themselves when they think the other is dead. And they aren't the only stories in which the true loves don't end up together...Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Titanic, Ghost, A Walk to Remember... Oh gosh... A Walk to Remember hits awful close to home now... All of them tell me to "never let go." But I don't want to stay here... I don't want to save his side of the bed for 10 years... I don't want to go 10 years with no one to clean the desk off for... I don't want to go ten years without someone to miss when they work late... I don't want to go 10 years without someone to gripe to when I don't like what someone says on facebook. I don't want to go so long without someone to make decisions with, and talk to as I fall asleep, and kiss goodbye.  Is it so impossible to have true love twice, without either of them being cheapened? I don't want to idolize Nathan, I don't want to make his side of the bed into a trap that I can't trigger without tremendous sorrow and guilt and fear and anxiety... It doesn't mean we didn't have true love... it just means that I didn't die and he didn't want me to live like I did. And I know all that... until Diane Sawyer says, "10 years..." in that tone of wonderment, and then my fear of somehow not honoring Nathan and everything we had flares up and I fall into a burning ring of fire.

11 comments:

  1. *gasp*

    I just wrote a FUNNY comment and google can't complete my request and it's gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh SURE google. SURE. THAT comment you complete. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well - here's what I remember from my former comment that I swear - was really really really funny.

    I was dissing Diane Sawyer and all her ilk (including Meredith Vierra - woe and doom to you Meredith, face it dummy, you WEAR fur!), and I wanted to congratulate you for living your life in such a way that it doesn't feed Diane's pathetic and disgusting desire to sound deep but is actually thoughtless and callous toward all others who have tragically lost their spouses - and I said that if you can manage such a life, well "goon on ya."

    And then I wrote - hahahahah, I means good on ya, but goon on ya is WAAAAY to good to edit.

    And THEN I wrote, and by "I means" I means I meant. And I observed how great my comments are when I resist the desire to edit my 5:30 in the a.m. mis-typings.

    Except I didn't say mis-typings - that's a gem produced by my re-commenting, which I think is the silver lining to my original comment getting "not completed" by mean old google who is trying to supress my brilliant sense of humor (give it up google - you can NEVER win!!!!).

    And in the previous comment, I lauded the end of the captcha days - but maybe you can gather that by my three, count 'em three comments, soooo early in the mornin'.

    Goon on me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think...maybe...I have heard you use the word Yikes before...but I cant remember an specific time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You Kara for helping end the captcha days

    ReplyDelete
  6. You say yikes. I noticed because Matt makes fun of me for it, too!

    Diane Sawyer is just a face on TV. It would be a tragic loss for the gentlemen of the world if you don't find romance again. You're way too awesome to keep on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do say, "Yikes." Usually in an understated, grimacing kind of way, in a response to something someone's told you that requires a response of sympathy and surprise.

    I also removed the capatcha in the hope of catching more comments...but so far it's been about the same. Seems to have worked for you, though!

    And ditto to Sadie for the shelf comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it possible that regarding the yikes issue, I was wrrrrr... wrrr... wrrrr....

    ...

    ...

    Yes, I'm awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking as one too old for this to be true: I love A Walk to Remember. Even though I can't stand Mandy Moore (not as a human being, just as an actress/singer/person I have to look at). But I always imagine that Landon Carter (I mean, what's-his-name) meets some wonderful girl in medical school and his story goes on...in lots of different ways.

    I only know your love with Nathan from afar, but it seems pretty darn spectacular to me as it is. I don't think it needs the addition of 10 years of empty pillows to make it beautiful and meaningful. -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frozen grief keeps a person frozen in time and they can't live new moments for fear of losing their past. This usually happens because of the way the other person is lost or things that didn't get said that should have been said when the person is lost.

    Your grief journey is as unique as you are...you honor your love and relationship with Nathan by letting it evolve instead of holding yourself and your memories hostage and not continuing to grow as person.

    In other words...screw Diane Sawyer :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Melissa. On all accounts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...