Saturday, August 4, 2012

Great Limerick!

I like to think that "Great Limerick!" is something that we will now say when shocked- like how Dr. Brown says "Great Scott!" in Back to the Future.


So today I was woken up by a phone call from Kara... yes.... it was noon. A girl can sleep as late as she wants on her birthday! I actually missed the first call, but then I called her right back and I'm glad I did, because she told me that she had good and bad news...

The good news is she got a job in Philly. The bad news is she has training that starts August 14th and so can't come back for the friend-a-versary like we planned... but the other good news was... *KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!* And there she was! It was really exciting. I ran downstairs like it was Christmas.

So last Friday, Kara actually came up with the idea that I should have people write me limericks for my birthday...

Best. Idea. Ever.

And now I will share with you some of the greats from today:

A birthday rhyme for my friend Renée
Of her beauty I can't fully convey
She has nails with a map
and bakes desserts in a snap
We will buy her bestsellers someday.
-Natalie

Our friend Renée always bakes
Lots of pies, lots of cookies and cakes
Cause we just can't say no
to her treats made from dough
we're all getting fat, goodness sakes!
- Bill

There's this girl that I know named Renée
She has to have Starbucks each day
White Peppermint Mocha
To start up her mot'a
Now up way too late she will stay
-Lissa

This one has a bit of meter issues, but it's too great not to share:

Surfing facebook on my cellular phone
while sitting here on my porcelain throne.
DING-A-LING-A-LING! Tagged in a post.
Jessie has summoned a limerick for Renée, the host!
WOW! What's that smell? Was it my own?

Anyways, back to the topic of the day.
Renée, sit back, relax and enjoy what I have to say.
No funny business, stinky socks, or rotten fish.
Just a heartfelt, warm birthday wish!
For all those you hold dear to send love your way!

Glancing through posts both new and old,
I wanted to see what all you had been told.
What I realized was almost everyone's downfall!
Hardly anyone can follow directions at all!
Most gave a quick reply, but a few broke the mold!

So on your special day, and a limerick you request,
I issue you this, but a simple test:
Who is lovely and caring and sweeter than sweet?
Who can bake amazing cookies that'll never be beat?
If you guessed Renée, you're correct! She's one of the best!

-Mike

My birthday wishes are lame
Just a simple "Happy Birthday!"--all the same
But I figured "Why not?"
"I'll give this a shot"
"and pen a birthday limerick for Renée"

In no time the first line was written
The standard "Once was a girl..."--I was smitten
Then came line two
And quickly I was through
Limericks are difficult.
Happy Birthday!

-Joe

There once was a girl named, Renée
Who's name happened to rhyme with "bidet"
She so hated the term
That she threatened to burn
Any who uttered it on her birthday

*pause* *deep breath*

So.. there was a fellow, name of Ryan
In imminent danger of fryin'
So to save his skin
He pleaded this then:
(deadpan voice)
"Happy birthday Renée... please don't kill me"
-Burrell (whose name is also Ryan but that's confusing, so I call him Burrell)

Helpful and personable, she will plan an event
Bring people together, not one she resents
but the é in her name is a fake
so you'll think she is French by mistake
(in a crazy French accent)
'cause it gives her excuses to speak in accents.
-Ryan

And then I think the piece dé resistance* (also penned by Ryan)

Renée, Renée, fabulous she
witty and charming, open-handed and free
Her only downfall
-if she has one at all
Is trying to make me watch that stupid show, Glee

I so enjoyed this birthday limerick extravaganza. I love my friends and I love laughing and I love all the wonderful compliments being written down so I can refer to them over and over. 

Kara says next year is sonnets... but she does have a tendency to take things a bit over the top.

*the piece dé resistance says "stupid" for parental controls.... (like literally for the parentals who read this.... Ryan has strong feelings towards against Glee. -- so much that he just made me change it when I said "towards" because (direct quote) "I'm not 'toward' Glee in any way.") 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...