Thursday, August 9, 2012

Praiseworthy

I was talking to a friend tonight about Kara and I and our friendship. And at one point I said something to the effect, "I marvel at times how we are such good friends. Kara and I are so different."

And it was suggested that it was because we are opposites... or because we lived together in the dorms... and I think those things help but as I was thinking, it all came down to one thing.

I'm Kara's friend because I know that she likes me. She tells me so, quite often.

And that's when it occurred to me. That's the reason why I'm friends with pretty much all of my friends. It's not "pretty much" it really is all of them.

I'm total crap at compliments, but every single one of my friends is good at.

Supposedly it's a Leo trait-- responding really warmly to praise... it's certainly a Renée trait.

It's the one thing that all my friends have in common. Introvert/Extrovert. Thinker/Feeler. New/Old. They all praise me.

It's why I loved the limmerick themed birthday so much.

I mean I think that I'd already determined that my main love language is words of affirmation... I hadn't realized it was the tie that binds all my relationships though!

It's amazing how little I know about myself... and yet I hope I never stop getting these flashes of personal insight. I really like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...