Saturday, January 7, 2012

I thank you for your sentiments.

Rather pleased with my day.... Got work done, got my hair done, ate lunch with a friend, played like 5+ hours of Zelda....Hello Volcano!

Also painted my nail with a nail polish called, "fairy dust." Not quite what I was expecting but it's still pretty... as anything labeled fairy dust should be.

So I'm working on this whole horrible first impression thing and I think I've figured out what a good 80% of my problem is. I used to think it was that I'm terrible at small talk but I think I was wrong. Either that or I've gotten better at small talk. What I think my problem is, is that I don't smile in greeting super often.... and thinking upon it I'm not sure that many of my immediate family members do either... We verbally greet one another, and even hug, but neither my mom nor my dad are big smilers... and I think that means I'm not either. I don't know if Rhonda does this too or not because I suspect some of my innate shyness is coming into play here, too... aka I don't make a lot of eye contact unless I'm talking to a person one on one... and I really didn't when I was little, so I'm guessing I missed out on the whole smiling bit of socialization thing... interesting because this theory might also explain why I am so paranoid about people liking me and why I prefer communication with one person more than anything else.

So that's what I'm going to be working on... making eye contact with complete strangers and smiling.... ugh it sounds so scary but I think if I can train myself to do this my good first impression rate will go up. Plus, I think I might be accused of flirting a bit more often... by Kara if not by anyone else. But I respond well to self-training... (not anyone else's...I have a bit of a stubborn streak) So if I just try to stay aware of it, and constantly make myself do it, eventually it will become second nature.

I know, I can hear you.You are saying, "But Renee, I think you are perfect just as you are!"

And I thank you for your sentiments...  but who is it going to hurt to look people in the eye and add more smiles to the world?

I say, not a soul... and maybe it will help boost the other 20% of my problem. Self-confidence.

You know, the real stuff, not the fake kind I use to try and be funny.

2 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful smile and beautiful eyes, so this plan leads to only good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true - smiling at people will make them think you're flirting. And more random strangers will hit on you. That could be a good or bad thing, depending. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...