Sunday, January 29, 2012

What I've learned

Ok, here we go. It's the day.

I can do this... I have a special outfit picked out, I have my alarm clock set, I have a full, and likely exhausting day of plans set. I can do this.

In honor of the day, I'm going to list the things I have learned over the last year.

1) I'm a hell of a lot stronger than I ever knew.

2) Everyone's grief is different. I know lots of people say this, but it's so hard to really grasp until you are in it.

3) I like Apple products.  Yeah, so this one isn't deep... I still didn't know it at this time last year.

4) I have the most incredible set of friends anyone could ever ask for.

5) It sucks to have the illusion of immortality stripped away from you.... and from your friends.

6) Looking beautiful is a very important weapon in my arsenal of coping mechanisms.

7) I hate the phrase "move on." I am/will move forward, but you don't "move on" from your spouse dying, as if it's just a hurdle you have to get over.

8) Likewise I hate hearing that Nathan "lost his battle" with cancer. Eff that. Nathan's in heaven. That's winning. That's the ultimate winning. And besides that, cancer never broke him. Never. Heck it barely even got him down. He kicked cancer in the face and then he went to go tell God about it in person. He "lost," my patootie.

9) I'm a writer. I wouldn't have called myself that a year ago.

10) Joy is a choice and it's not always an easy one, but it is usually the right one.

11) I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. (Phil 4:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...