Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Being a flake

Oh my goodness, did you see Glee tonight? Blackbird might be my favorite song, ever.... I'm not going to admit how long it took me to learn that it was originally a Beatles tune.  And the rest of the show was pretty good, too. :) I wish I had an instant re-play, because I would definitely just watch it all again. The only problem with watching Glee when it airs is that you can't just go immediately on to the next episode.

I used to be on top of my life... I could handle it... I responded to my e-mails. I remembered to call people back. My office didn't look like a train hit it. Ok... that last one might be an exaggeration. I'm a creative, ok? We aren't required to be neat... in fact we might be required to be kinda messy. That's what creatives do... we creatively make huge messes. Sides, you should see my apartment... I look like I'm a neat freak.... at least in comparison to my normal standards... and if you don't open the office door.

ANYWAY, my point was that I'm so not on top of things right now... I'm a downright flake. I can't even count how many e-mails I've failed to respond to... or phone calls... or facebook messages. And I haven't even begun to think of what I'm going to do with the rest of my life, job-wise. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I'm going to have to make enough to support myself, eventually. Unfortunately all the things I would want to do for a career are creative- Write, interior design, craft, ect. And I'm too pragmatic to trust that kind of income... and I certainly don't want to go back to teaching. To "my" kids who are reading this, I love you all, still... but it was not the profession for me. Too much ridiculous red tape and mindless hoop jumping, miserable hours, and I couldn't take the general apathy of many of your peers without burning out- brightly and quickly. If I'm going to have to take my work home every night it has to be something that I *love* -not grading homework.

Wow... do you see how fast I can leave my original point behind and pick up a minorly related topic?

And now Firefox is telling me that "minorly" is not a word. Am I a crazy person? I'm pretty sure that's a word. Am I misspelling it? Firefox doesn't give me any alternative spellings.... Whoa... World is tilting off it's axis. How can I trust anything that I thought I knew, if minorly isn't even a word?!?

This is what happens when you become a flake... even your vocabulary suffers.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think "minorly" is a word. I'm sorry. If it helps, the suffix -ly comes from "like," which in olden days was pronounced "leek," so people would say, "happy-like" and eventually it just became "happily." So you are using an established word-creation process if not an established word.

    There ARE writers, interior designers, and crafters who make a comfortable living. Just sayin'. And you have more than enough talent in each of those areas to be one of them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...