Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Christy" Quotes

These aren't deep thoughts... just passages from the book Christy by Catherine Marshall that have "struck" me, if you will.

"How is it that sometimes a melody and a lyric will wing their way into mind and heart to lodge there like a homing bird? Here in these astringent lines someone had captured what I had felt so deeply," (pg 168)

It goes on, but it's part of the story and so wouldn't make as much sense to you. It's something like what I wrote in one of my first blog posts.

Here is a song that's lodged itself into my mind and heart lately.


Another quote, that got me... Christy is talking about nursing people back from typhoid fever... but it isn't talking about typhoid to me... “What do you do when strength is called for and you have no strength?  You evoke a power beyond your own and use stamina you did not know you had.  You open your eyes in the morning grateful that you can see the sunlight of yet another day.  You draw yourself to the edge of the bed and then put one foot in front of the other-and keep going.  You weep with those who gently close the eyes of the dead, and somehow, from the salt of your tears, comes endurance for them and for you.  You pour out that resurgence to minister to the living.” (pg 477)

Oh words... how you speak to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...